Chick perching & climbing arms

Slgov13

Chirping
May 10, 2020
I apologize if I am posting this in the wrong place, BYC newbie here. I have a chick who is 4 to 5 weeks old. She is a sweetheart and very friendly. She is so friendly, that she regularly flies up onto my arms, shoulders, back, etc. when I visit her. She once flew up onto my 5 year olds head! It is cute now, but I don't want her doing this when she gets heavy enough to scratch / break skin. Will this be a behavior she will grow out of on her own, or do I need to train her to stop?

Attachments

• 20200518_222335.jpg
    20200518_222335.jpg
    298.7 KB · Views: 42
My chicks used to do this all the time when they were young. When they go older, they tried to jump on my arms maybe once or twice, but they realized that my arm wouldn't hold them, so they stopped. They haven't done it since.

If you don't want her to do it later, you should probably teach her to stop it now. Think of it like the cute little puppy that jumps up on you then becomes a big dog that knocks you over doing the same thing. Brush her off immediately. @HappyClucker7 could well be correct and she'd stop on her own but were it me I'd rather be safe than sorry. I have a couple 5 week olds who I am having to teach this to myself. They can jump on my lap if I am sitting down, but no launching themselves at my shoulder.

My hubby likes to encourage this but I don't. It's very cute when they're small but once they're bigger, it's a great way to get poop or mud on your clothes and hair, and potentially get an earring ripped out or an eye pecked.

With chicks if you just gently urge them off, they should get the idea. If they continue doing it when they're bigger, don't feel bad about giving them a light shove or brush off, they can fly down.

Back
Top Bottom