Chick picking on chick

Miss Chickpea

Chirping
Dec 30, 2017
Ontario, Canada
Hi everyone! I've just started with my first baby chicks that I picked up last weekend, mixed flock ranging in age from 4 days to 2 weeks. Everything has been going very well (thank you for all of the advise!) Today I added 2 new babies (I was warned chickens would be an addiction lol) that are 4 days old. I have been watching them to make sure the mix in well and are eating, drinking and getting warm under their mama heating pad. Everything is good except ive got one large red Orpington who is picking on one of the new additions (legbar). She/he is biting the back of its neck and looks like it is trying to jump on it!? Is this any indication my red is a roo? It hasn't been very aggressive but has now done this about 4 times in the past 3 hours. I think it the same one but the two new ones look so similar I can't be 100% sure.

I'm worried because even though the age difference isn't much, the red is the biggest in the bunch and the new ones are the smallest. Should I separate the big one for a bit?

They are all in a Xlarge dog crate (with cardboard), big feeder, waterer, hunk of sod, mama heating pad, mirror, with room to spare to move about. They are not board or crowded.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. :)

Thanks!

The age difference is a huge factor. Chicks become more self aware and active at the 2 week old mark. They start acting more like chickens at that point, and will start pecking any newer chicks. You may have to separate out the older ones to protect the younger ones. It's not a good idea to keep adding chicks to a group in my experiences.

Back
Top Bottom