Chick pipped 24hr+ beak out but no zipping.

If none of the other eggs hatch, it's probably time to think about finding him a friend. Are you planning to keep the chick or did you have someone waiting for whoever hatched? They don't do well as singles. Local feed stores usually have chicks this time of year- the younger the better. Do you have the ability to candle the remaining eggs to look for any further movement?
Tried to candle the others as best I can (I left the light at work) and tapped and listened there’s no signs of life unfortunately.
I’m going to try the petting zoo we got the eggs from and see if they have a friend for him/her.
My boss was planning on taking them as she’s had chickens before and her children have been asking to have them again (foxes got their last ones).

We have some babies that have need help, and in my opinion helping is good as most have been too dry to get out, didn't zip, or are shrink wrapped.

Definitely. I haven't had one yet that had any failure to thrive issues as a result of being helped from the egg. Usually it's our fault- the incubator - sometimes the hen, especially a first timer- freaks out and pecks one really hard when it moves and chirps for the first time in the egg - which led to shrinkwrapping.

Tried to candle the others as best I can (I left the light at work) and tapped and listened there’s no signs of life unfortunately.
I’m going to try the petting zoo we got the eggs from and see if they have a friend for him/her.
My boss was planning on taking them as she’s had chickens before and her children have been asking to have them again (foxes got their last ones).

Hopefully they've fox-proof their chicken accommodations- lots of great advice on here about how to do that too. =)

If the petting zoo doesn't have any, try the local feed stores- the younger the chick the better- also sometimes craigslist can be a good resource. Last resort- the mail order hatcheries- I know mypetchicken.com ships theirs on Mondays.

As a last resort you can try the water test (where you look for movement while the egg is in water) but I'm willing to bet you're right given it's day 24 with no other pips.

Back
Top Bottom