Chick Pipped at wrong side of egg

Prophecyx1

Songster
7 Years
Jan 17, 2016
Georgia
20230420_103415.jpg

They just pipped within the last 2 hours, amd I noticed this one pipped at the wrong side. Is this a big deal?

He has externally pipped so he can breathe. Chicks that pip on the wrong end of the egg usually hatch just fine on their own, they just take longer.
Okay! That is what I thought. He is very vocal lol! Out of the few years I have done this off and on I have been lucky enough to not have this happen.

One last question for now. I have another pip, where shell has been broken off, but it looks like membrane is still intact and kind of white. I noticed last night a small crack in that location on the egg but no full break through. I went on lockdown 3 days ago and upped humidity to 65% it goes from 65% to 70% off and on, and to be honest the humidity was a little higher over all this hatch being 53% or so for the first half, and around 48% the last half, at 99.1f

thats fine to, it may sit like that 24 hours before starting to zip ... when you get worried is after they zip and it takes a long time, like over 12 hours, then they may be stuck .. i usually give them a full 24 hours even after zipping before considering 'helping' them though .. my guess is by this time tomorrow youll have a box full of chicks lol ..

thats fine to, it may sit like that 24 hours before starting to zip ... when you get worried is after they zip and it takes a long time, like over 12 hours, then they may be stuck .. i usually give them a full 24 hours even after zipping before considering 'helping' them though .. my guess is by this time tomorrow youll have a box full of chicks lol ..
Hahah, yes honestly that is usually what happens lol. Thanks for the response I love to learn!

heh, dont laugh at me but i always talk to them every time i walk by when they start to pip .. i swear it makes them hatch quicker lol ..

heh, dont laugh at me but i always talk to them every time i walk by when they start to pip .. i swear it makes them hatch quicker lol ..
So, the 2 eggs are getting along still, more movement more shell gone. I only have 2 other eggs in there, but they have not externally pipped yet. Its safe to assume I will have 2 chicks running around before the other two get to work, if they decide to hatch at all. Should I leave the chicks in the bator and let them play soccer, vs bringing them out? I know I dont want to mess up the humidity and environment, and risk shrink wrapping the ither 2 eggs.

So, update. 1 hatched, the malpositioned 1 made small progress but not zipping... in 3 hours it will have been 24 hrs since the malposition one pipped. but the last 2 eggs have pipped and I will not open the bator until they have hatched. I did notice on one of the pipped eggs that the pip seems a little red, like blood. Is this normal to see?

Back
Top Bottom