chick pipping a week before hatching

RueDornai

In the Brooder
Mar 1, 2022
I left my chickens for about 3 days and when I came home my rooster was dead. I decided to take the 22 eggs that accumulated while I was gone and stuck them in an incubator. Now 7 days out from hatching one of the eggs is chirping! What should I do? I stopped the automatic egg turner but the eggs shouldb have 7 more days to go. should I take.the egg turner out? Can the chick hatch with the egg turner in place?

Should I turn by hand? I thought if they are near hatching you should not open the incubator. Thank.you for the quick response

Should I turn by hand? I thought if they are near hatching you should not open the incubator. Thank.you for the quick response
I’ve opened my incubator after pipping before and have not yet had any issues with shrink wrapping. Just be efficient and close it up quickly. I think it’s worth the risk to remove the turner. Not sure about the hand turning as I’ve never done that.

I’m wondering if the eggs have had been developing before you collected them. Was someone broody? What’s the temp inside the coop? Were a lot of those 22 eggs in the same box and they had hens sitting to lay consistently on them? Are any other eggs pipping or chirping?

If you think they’re all going to hatch soon, I wouldn’t hand turn them. If this one egg is an anomaly, I don’t know what advice to give - sorry.

Thank you. I have cochins and easter eggers. My cochins are always broody. I know when I candled them only a few looked like they were just beginning to develop. I thought the rest looked further along. It was hard to tell since the eggs are green and blue and dark brown. I thought maybe they were dead since it was 110 in Texas that week. I am just going to not turn them They were all turned for the first 14 days in the incubator. ai figure at least give the one I know is alive a chance. I need a rooster and I usually hatch roosters any way. Thank you so much and I will let you all know what happens.

Thank you. I have cochins and easter eggers. My cochins are always broody. I know when I candled them only a few looked like they were just beginning to develop. I thought the rest looked further along. It was hard to tell since the eggs are green and blue and dark brown. I thought maybe they were dead since it was 110 in Texas that week. I am just going to not turn them They were all turned for the first 14 days in the incubator. ai figure at least give the one I know is alive a chance. I need a rooster and I usually hatch roosters any way. Thank you so much and I will let you all know what happens.
Yes. Keep us posted. I hope it all works out. I struggled with candling green eggs, too.

I’m thinking they were already incubating in the coop with those high temps, so they’re ahead of schedule (or some of them). Hope all goes well!

What kind of incubator do you have? On mine I can unplug the turner so it would remain stationary. If the turner is stuck, see if you can somehow turn off or stop the motor.
Well my husband came home and well he is stronger than I.. lol got it off with no struggle lol. So one chick is out now but I know it will be different bc other hens would lay when she got up and well there is still 12 days since being in the incubator but under her they were probably there for 9 days at least this one was well see if we get more pips but I haven't seen anything yet. And there are two duck eggs in there and I know they take longer but they are still doing good just candles them. How do I know how the other eggs are doing since there shells are more solid..?

Attachments

• 17130508108944740992483902891195.jpg
    17130508108944740992483902891195.jpg
    390 KB · Views: 2

Back
Top Bottom