chick poop is getting stuck in chicks down.

quails-101

Chirping
Apr 16, 2016
My chicks poop is getting stuck in its down is it not ok or is it fine how should I clean it off I tried a q-tip but that didn't work and I tried a paper towel. What should I do.

Ive had to CAREFULLY Trim the fluff on my chicks bottom before because i could not soften the poo that was stuck to its fluff. I tried everything. Warm water, oil, but it did not work. So in this particular case i very very carefully cut the hardened poo from her fluff and it worked wonderfully. I have a full grown silky who gets poo stuck on her bottom because she is so fluffy so i also trim her bottom fluff and she no longer gets poo stuck in her fluff when shes trimmed. When doing this for a chick please use extra caution because you can easily cut them if not very careful. Hope this helps and good luck.

I found that patience is the key. I used a wet warm cotton ball and held it on for a while and then wiped gently, over and over. It takes a while (10-15 minutes maybe), but it will eventually become soft enough to wipe off.
Good luck!

I'll gently run warm water from the sink over the chicks butt and very gently work the poop loose. You may want to give them some probiotic powder or some plain greek yogurt and the issue should go away.

Hey Fluffy Puffy!
Congrats on your new Friend badge!!!
Karen

Hey! Awh, thank you!
love.gif

Blessings -

~ Aspen

I had similar situation with my salmon favorelle chick when she was in the 2-4 weeks of age bracket. She the only chick of 12 that I have that was susceptible to pasty butt. A friend told me to gently hold her butt in a large capful or shallow dish of warm water to soften & wipe the poo off to clean her butt. After several attempts i finally got the proper way to hold her in the bowl and it worked. It was stressful for her (and I )but we got the job done. Happy to report that she's a 9 week old pretty gal with no pasty butt problems.
D.gif

Back
Top Bottom