Chick poop is on her feathers

ChikenMania

In the Brooder
Jul 16, 2016
Carlisle MA
One of my chicks has poop stuck on her feathers. I've tried to take it off, but its really stuck on her feathers and i'm afraid I'll take some of her fluff off too.Its not near her butt, so I don't think its pasty butt, but i'm wondering if its safe to just let it stay there until she sheds her chick fluff.

Feathers and chick down are two completely different things. While feathers are very good at shedding dirt and poop, down will absorb soil.

It's a judgement call as to whether you need to attempt to clean the down on a chick. If the poop is blocking the vent, it's critical to clean it off. If the poop is covering a large area, then you need to try to soak it off.

If the poop is soiling a very small area, then you may decide to leave it to be shed along with the down as feathers replace it.

If it happens again you can hold them until warm water in the sink and work the poo off slowly and gently with your (gloved) fingers until it comes off. Then a gentle blow dry with a hair dryer...mine always enjoyed it!

Back
Top Bottom