Chick raising Diary! 🐣 First time raising babies, with a first-time broody-mother (cute chick photos incoming!)

Pics
Monday 30th October - Friday 3rd November 2023 🎃

The chicks are approaching 7 weeks old! I'm thinking I may need to move them onto growers food soon? Shame as I just bought lots more chick crumb last week!!

Pepper is getting more and more motherly, she makes cute little cheeping noises to the chicks and finds them food all the time. I think she may actually be broody even though she doesn't lay! Brooding over these cuties 😍

@GreenJay Pretty kitty is Hazel (yes there's a name theme here!), who's our 12 year old farm moggie ☺️ She likes to watch the chickens but is mostly innocent! (They're too big for her to take on!)
@Farmgirl283420 Marigold is so cute! How old roughly are they there? They have the same almost fluffy legs and white bib ♥️

Monday: They had a nice dustbath and sunbath on Monday, so I gave them more sand to kick about in!☀️
2023-10-30 Sunbathing.jpg
2023-10-30 Kicking about in the sand.jpg

2023-10-30 Nutmeg.jpg
2023-10-30 On high alert.jpg

2023-10-30 Popcorn snuggles.jpg
2023-10-30 Pop loves to sit on my hand.jpg

Wednesday & Thursday: 🌪️🌧️ We had a massive storm (Storm Ciaran) blow in on Wednesday and Thursday, so they were a little unsettled but coped just fine. I had to make sure to remove all the bits and pieces around the run so they wouldn't go flying and spook them! Luckily they have a tarpaulin roof on their run so they can stay dry as long as they don't go near the edges!

2023-11-01 The gang posing for some corn.jpg

2023-11-01 Nutmeg after some corn.jpg
2023-11-01 Lilac.jpg

2023-11-01 A very happy Popcorn.jpg
2023-11-03 Nutmegs lovely chestnut collar.jpg
2023-11-03 The usual culprits of lap high-jacking.jpg

💤 The past three nights they have started going to bed in the large hen house again. Wednesday and Thursday night they went in the nestbox with Lily.... well Nutmeg did! Both nights Popcorn and Lilac were cheeping away outside the house - they hadn't gone up the ramp again to get inside! I gave them a helping hand and then they were happily snuggled under Lily.

Friday: However, tonight Lily decided it is time to roost on her old perch again with Pepper! I bet Pepper was glad for the company as she's been roosting alone since the end of August! When I checked on them at bedtime, Pepper and Lily were perching, and Nutmeg was tucked under Lily's left wing on the perch! However, Pop and Lilac were on the floor of the hen house under the perch, cheeping away! Hey at least they got up the ramp today, progress!! 🥳

I lifted them onto the perch and Popcorn stole Lily's right wing. Dilemma. Lily only has two wings, and we have three quite large chicks now! Lilac was upset she couldn't snuggle in... she was between Pepper and Lily. I decided to see if Pepper would let her under a wing and it kinda worked! She wrapped her up and Lilac was instantly happy. When I went to check on them a couple of hours later they were all still tucked up like that!

❓ I don't know if I need to worry about them being cold now they're fully feathered? Will they be fine in temps down to 5c (40f) at night now if they weren't tucked up under a wing?

2023-11-03 Lilac tried to fit under Lily but she got turfed out!.jpg
2023-11-03 Lilac snuggled into Pepper.jpg

2023-11-03 First night perching!.jpg

Nugget Age: 40-44 days
Lilac & Popcorn Age: 43-47 days

Last edited:
Monday 30th October - Friday 3rd November 2023 🎃

The chicks are approaching 7 weeks old! I'm thinking I may need to move them onto growers food soon? Shame as I just bought lots more chick crumb last week!!

Pepper is getting more and more motherly, she makes cute little cheeping noises to the chicks and finds them food all the time. I think she may actually be broody even though she doesn't lay! Brooding over these cuties 😍

@GreenJay Pretty kitty is Hazel (yes there's a name theme here!), who's our 12 year old farm moggie ☺️ She likes to watch the chickens but is mostly innocent! (They're too big for her to take on!)
@Farmgirl283420 Marigold is so cute! How old roughly are they there? They have the same almost fluffy legs and white bib ♥️

Monday: They had a nice dustbath and sunbath on Monday, so I gave them more sand to kick about in!☀️
View attachment 3675724View attachment 3675722
View attachment 3675726View attachment 3675725
View attachment 3675728View attachment 3675727

Wednesday & Thursday: 🌪️🌧️ We had a massive storm (Storm Ciaran) blow in on Wednesday and Thursday, so they were a little unsettled but coped just fine. I had to make sure to remove all the bits and pieces around the run so they wouldn't go flying and spook them! Luckily they have a tarpaulin roof on their run so they can stay dry as long as they don't go near the edges!

View attachment 3675730
View attachment 3675731View attachment 3675732
View attachment 3675733View attachment 3675744View attachment 3675745

💤 The past three nights they have started going to bed in the large hen house again. Wednesday and Thursday night they went in the nestbox with Lily.... well Nutmeg did! Both nights Popcorn and Lilac were cheeping away outside the house - they hadn't gone up the ramp again to get inside! I gave them a helping hand and then they were happily snuggled under Lily.

Friday: However, tonight Lily decided it is time to roost on her old perch again with Pepper! I bet Pepper was glad for the company as she's been roosting alone since the end of August! When I checked on them at bedtime, Pepper and Lily were perching, and Nutmeg was tucked under Lily's left wing on the perch! However, Pop and Lilac were on the floor of the hen house under the perch, cheeping away! Hey at least they got up the ramp today, progress!! 🥳

I lifted them onto the perch and Popcorn stole Lily's right wing. Dilemma. Lily only has two wings, and we have three quite large chicks now! Lilac was upset she couldn't snuggle in... she was between Pepper and Lily. I decided to see if Pepper would let her under a wing and it kinda worked! She wrapped her up and Lilac was instantly happy. When I went to check on them a couple of hours later they were all still tucked up like that!

❓ I don't know if I need to worry about them being cold now they're fully feathered? Will they be fine in temps down to 5c (40f) at night now if they weren't tucked up under a wing?

View attachment 3675735View attachment 3675736
View attachment 3675737

Nugget Age: 40-44 days
Lilac & Popcorn Age: 43-47 days
I love those pictures! Let me check what age Mary was. She is a jersey giant or was supposed to be. Do you know what breed Nutmeg is? She reminds me of my friend’s chicken with that gold!

Back
Top Bottom