Chick raising question

remist17

Chirping
8 Years
Apr 29, 2011
Pennsylvania
I am getting 10 chicks in 7 days. I put the delivery out to May thinking it would be warm enough to keep them in the barn with a lamp in a 50 gallon water bucket. The weather currently is not working out so well. We had frost again this morning. Question is will the chicks be ok with a heat lamp, in a 50 gallon water bucket, in a un-insulated barn? I can not bring the chicks in the house as my daughter is allergic to the baby feathers.

Thanks

Do you have a temp. gauge? Just be sure that they have access to a 90 to 100 temp heat from your lamp. Normally, some people do not put their chicks out until they start feathering out, but considering your situation....they should be okay.
If it was me.....I would try putting them in a bigger container, like a sturdy box. You want them to have enough surface area to move in and away from the heat source. If you use a box....make sure you use something like paper towels for traction, because boxes can be slippery and chicks can hurt their legs.
90 to 100 for the first week, then adjust the temp each week by raising the heat lamp....adjusting it by 5-10 degrees. By the 6th or 7th week, you should not have to use heat....just to have it, if they need it or the temps there get really cold.
Btw, do you have a section in your barn all to them selves?? Because before long, they will take over everything....and leave you presents where you might not want them to. Just wondering. :)

I have used the water bucket for years, its not a little bucket. Its 50 gallon flat rubber made that is about 3 feet long and 2 feet wide. I used it to water goats for years, then re-purposed to grow chicks. I put the lamp at one end and water feed at the other. The barn is sectioned off for them. The barn for the chickens is 8 ft x 8ft with a 24 ft run. I usually get the chicks when the highs are in the 70 and lows in the 50. This year the highs are 60 and lows are 30 which start to concern me. I tried to push delivery but couldnt.

Not sure why, but I was thinking....like a tall bucket, with not a lot of surface area, for some reason. This is new to me, using a water bucket.
Getting mine shipped soon and I have a small, rubbery-water tank in storage....might use it, instead of a box for my new chicks.
Thanks for the idea. :)
I ordered 4 Rhode Island Reds and 4 Australorp's. We built a 4'x8' building with 4 nesting boxes.....still in progress, but almost finished.
I am sure your new babies will be okay.....good luck with them.
M

Does anyone have concerns on my setup for the chicks. They come Thursday.

50 gallon stock tank.
Pine shavings
and heat lamp.
Housed in the non insulated barn

Lows are 38-42F and highs are around 65 - 70.

Thanks

How are the chicks doing?....you said that they would come in Thursday, and it's the following Monday.
Can you download a pic of them....curious to see them.

Back
Top Bottom