chick reintegration

JCfans

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jul 8, 2008
Central Illinois
Hello all. At 2 weeks we had a chick get her feathers torn and started to bleed in a cricket fight incident. So we put her in a seperate brooder and she is doing great now after a few days. My question is we are preparing to put her back with the other chicks. Do you think we will have problems with reintegration after she has only been out for a week? If so what would you recommend. Thanks alot.

Chad

Sometimes they reintegrate with no problems and sometimes the 'flock' won't take them back. I had the same thing happen when mine were less than a week old. When I tried to put my one back in with the others they attacked it mercilessly. I had to get it back out and make a separate, larger brooder for it. Since I didn't want it to be by itself, I took the two smallest chicks from the main box and moved them in with her. Those three grew up together in a separate brooder. I finally was able to integrate them into one flock when they were about 3 months old.

So, give it a try and keep a close eye on them all. If there are serious pecking issues... remove the chick and keep it in it's own brooder. Give it company if you can find a chick or two that gets along with it.

Good luck.

Thanks for the help. We gave it a try and it didn't go well. They went right after her and didn't let up. I might try to make a quarantined area in the chicken house separated with some chicken wire. Maybe then they will get used to her. Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom