Chick "scalped" (not my chick)

PippinTheChicken

🧡🤍💙
Mar 19, 2021
UK
My Coop
My Coop
Someone I know had a hen with chicks and the chicks were attacked.
This little guy has survived.
Screenshot_20210706-203403~2.png

I want to help this person and I want their chick to survive. They have taken them inside to a brooder. Anything I should tell them to do?
Urgent

Make a Saline rinse: boil salt and water together for around 10 minutes. Let completely cool (place in freezer to speed up process). Gently poor the Saline on the scalped part. (Have head tilted back if possible so none gets in the chick's nose.) Bag Balm, Neosporin (I'd go with Neosporin pain reliver), and there's a couple other ointments that you could use, gently placed on the injury. (Do with rubber gloves is preferred!) Clean 1-3 times daily, if possible or preferred. Keep close eye on it while it's healing. If appearing weak, gently and carefully in syringe, mix some sugar and water together for a boost.
This will scar, and the feathers will not grow there, FYI.

I use Aluspray with great success, it's antiinflammatory, anti-bacterial, anti-picking and a drying agent. But it's not readily available in stores, you'll probably have to order it. But it's my #1 go to for wounds. My neighbor's chicken got her head caught in the wire fence and had a similar degloving injury. But after a few weeks all you can see is a thin rim of featherless skin, the rest has healed beautifully with only keeping the wounds clean and dry and sprayed.

Make a Saline rinse: boil salt and water together for around 10 minutes. Let completely cool (place in freezer to speed up process). Gently poor the Saline on the scalped part. (Have head tilted back if possible so none gets in the chick's nose.) Bag Balm, Neosporin (I'd go with Neosporin pain reliver), and there's a couple other ointments that you could use, gently placed on the injury. (Do with rubber gloves is preferred!) Clean 1-3 times daily, if possible or preferred. Keep close eye on it while it's healing. If appearing weak, gently and carefully in syringe, mix some sugar and water together for a boost.
This will scar, and the feathers will not grow there, FYI.
Very helpful... I'll tell them this

Someone I know had a hen with chicks and the chicks were attacked.
I do have a question about this. ^^
If it was the hen, the chick shouldn't go back with her. And also maybe if it wasn't the hen, because she might peck the injury.

I do have a question about this. ^^
If it was the hen, the chick shouldn't go back with her. And also maybe if it wasn't the hen, because she might peck the injury.
They aren't going back with her until they ate much older. It definitely was the hen who hatched them, she suddenly started pecking them on the heads for some reason?

Back
Top Bottom