Chick seems ill

chucktownchick

In the Brooder
Sep 18, 2015
I have 9 Orpington chicks and they are a few weeks old. I have noticed that one seems a little less active than all the rest. He seems like he is always lying down. Even when the others are stepping all over him, he doesn't seem bothered. I don't know if I am overreacting. Maybe he is just a calm, relaxed chick? He does walk around sometimes. He doesn't have pasty butt. Any suggestions? I thought about putting him in his own private brooder so they all wouldn't be stepping all over him and bothering him if he felt bad. He cried so bad that I decided to put him back with his siblings. I am new to this and would appreciate any tips. What feathers he does have seem kind of ruffled almost like a cat when it makes it's hair stand up.I don't know if that means anything.

I gave them medicated starter the first couple of weeks, but they are not on it now. I will research cocci and see what I think. Thank you.

Once in a while one will just not grow and thrive due to some internal problem, unless others start becoming sick I would wait and see, make sure they are not too warm, keep them clean and uncrowded with fresh clean water, good luck.

Thank you so much for your advice. Being new to this, I really value the opinions of folks like you willing to share their knowledge. :)

Back
Top Bottom