Chick Sexing Project: To Be Continued?

Would a picture reference of chicks and chickens of many breeds be useful (and worth it) to gather?

• YE-AH

Votes: 8 33.3%
  • That'd be about as useful as honkers on a hog!

Votes: 6 25.0%
  • ...huh?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • You betcha and I'll help if I can!

Votes: 8 33.3%
  • Well I think...(please comment)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The second option is the no. Or this one. Either works!

Votes: 2 8.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
To avoid false information, maybe it could be more about pictures rather than advice? Though this would require clear pictures of chicks that are confirmed to be the sex it says they are.

Yeah that was going to be one of the things I think we should require for picture submission; that the sex of the chick in the picture is confirmed and not a guess.

I don't think there's necessarily a problem with advice as long as it is clearly noted that that is what it is, and not some tried and true tested method. But that is something we'll definitely need to keep in mind--that advice isn't portrayed as fact.

I think a wiki could be a good idea if it's properly managed and organized...much better than the thread, anyway.
I do think we can go a bit farther than just pictures though--such as tips/pointers for determining the gender--for example, explaining the comb growth differences in different breeds, or when to expect the black breast/patchiness in boys, how to make better guesses at gender of barred rocks or duckwing day-old chicks.

Okay, the ayes definitely have it! I'm looking forward to working with all y'all to make a valuable resource for the chicken raising community! Feel free to message me about what you'd like to contribute if you'd like to help (I'ma make a list).

Dwight Lets Do This GIF by The Office

Back
Top Bottom