Chick slow to feather

rkinder

In the Brooder
Sep 24, 2020
Hello everyone, first post here. I've had chickens before but I'm new to chicks. I have 8 chicks (8 different breeds) purchased from Rural King on September 26- so they are at least 4+ weeks old. One of my chicks (thinking either a Barred rock or Dominique) is less half the size of the other chicks and has no tail feathers (she does have a little nub)- she has wing feathers and some scattered feathers around her neck. She does not act sick, eats and drinks well- does seem a little shyer than the others and likes to be under the ecoglow a little more.

I was hoping to move the girls to their coop in a few weeks but I'm worried she won't have enough feathers to be out full-time. (I'm in WV where it is 50s and 60s during the day and mid 40s at night right now). They have had excursions to a pen in the yard on sunny days and have spent a few hours in the coop on nice days. She seems fine after these trips. Appreciate any thoughts! (I'm sure it's obvious but she's the little black one).

Attachments

• IMG_4089.jpg
    IMG_4089.jpg
    559.3 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_4090.jpg
    IMG_4090.jpg
    575.1 KB · Views: 13
I'm wondering if she's potentially a bantam that got mixed into the large fowl(LF) bins. Some others have been having chicks that have been staying small too though this year. She looks healthy though. 🤔

That has crossed my mind too. She does act healthy and she doesn't get picked on luckily.

Back
Top Bottom