Chick Sneezing Blood- 6 Week Old Delaware

PepsNick

Back to Business
9 Years
May 9, 2010
Egglanta, GA
I have a six week old chick who is sneezing continuously, and this morning I saw blood stuck to her nostril. The others are going through the pecking order stage, but she's already the lowest and they're just ignoring her. She's always kind of been the runt/slow grower of the hatch.

1) What type of bird , age and weight. Delaware, six weeks, a tad smaller than the rest. Exact age unsure of.
2) What is the behavior, exactly. Sneezing constantly, otherwise acting normal.
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? Since last night
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? no
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. blood stuck to her nostril, that's all.
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. I'm unsure.
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. yes, very hungry and drinking very well.
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. Normal, runny at times.
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? Moved her to a separate brooder with feed and water.
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? Treat myself
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help. One second...
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use. Pine shavings, kept very clean.

Pictures

56934_luna1.jpg

56934_luna2.jpg

56934_luna3.jpg

This is where she was being housed before. Food, bedding, and water all very clean.
56934_luna4.jpg

Drinking
56934_luna5.jpg

Thank you.

Nick

Okay, her poop is now very runny. The chicks are going to move out this afternoon, but I think I'll wait with her.

Nick, she looks a bit odd, has a sleepy look in the head pics. I'm not sure what the heck is wrong with her, if anything. She may have been pecked in her nostril---someone did that to Panda the other day when I put her back in the main flock and hers was bleeding, but it was definitely a wound from one of the other birds.

You probably need to change your title since it doesn't sound like she was actually "sneezing blood", but has a peck injury. That makes it sound like she has Infectious Larynotracheitis and trust me, she doesn't.
wink.png
If she is growth-stunted, that is yet another reason not to hatch Georgie's eggs since her babies on occasion have hock issues.

Can you PM me pics of her that I can see better, full body shot from a couple feet away, closer pic of her head and beak? I sent you a PM.

I remember L'il Bit that went to live with Scott. She was slightly smaller than the rest of the pullets and every time I picked her up, she'd close her eyes and look sleepy. That pic reminds me of her.

Nick thanks for the new pictures you Pm'd me. Yes, she is a dwarf and she is not a she, but a male. The reason he could be sneezing is that his nasal passages may not be properly formed, as well as the issues we do see, so if he got feed up the nares, he may be having a hard time dislodging it. I'm so sorry you're having to deal with this, but no one else ever will. Georgie may have been the culprit all along here and we were inadvertently led to another conclusion awhile back.
sad.png

Cyn and Nick-
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif

I feel horrible about this for you - I remember how I about my poor little one.
Cyn, I don't think Georgie was laying the time I got Dels from you- maybe you were also correct in the first identification? Can't remember how your girls are related.

Last edited:
As far as Janet Holtman knew, there was no relation between Kira and the group Ike and his girls came from, however, the Meier line, which is an old show line, makes up some of her last flock, including Isaac. That line, like many, is inbred, though Mr. Meier is not breeding Delawares any longer. Kira's daughter, Fattie, is carrying a double dwarf gene, which many thought to be impossible, but the researcher said it was definitely true according to the tests. That's why we all thought it came through Kira. So, this was a real blindside for me and Janet. We never expected it after Kira, Phoebe and Kira's daughter were sold as layers. How two different lines could be carrying a dwarf gene, I'm not sure. Maybe it throws back to when they were almost extinct and breeders maybe didn't cull breeding stock, only the dwarf chicks that resulted from it, thereby passing on the gene to others, who maybe were carriers, but did not show symptoms, like Fattie.

All I know is that I thought I was done with this and now, the final nail just went into my Delaware breeding program. It's good to know, because facts are always good, but I hate beyond reason that Nick has to deal with this.
hit.gif

And maybe I am getting Gracie and Georgie mixed up - I know one or the other was just a baby when I got mine from you.
Rats. I wish you would not quit with the Dels, would you consider new stock? I know Isaac would be happy just being with you, you are his buddy. You are building a new coop, ya know.

Darn dwarfing gene! I do not understand a whole lot about genetics, but what I have learned is that each parent donates genes equally. I don't know anything about a "double dwarfing gene," and believe me, I have searched and searched for such a thing. In my opinion, this dwarfing that we are dealing with is from both parents.

I have hatched dwarf chicks with Jacob (Isaac's son) as the sire. Since I moved him out and have only Oliver in the breeder pen, I have not hatched any dwarf chicks.

Back
Top Bottom