Chick speaking inside egg, how long to hatch ?

I usually wait about 8 hours and if the chick hasn't progressed to external pip I make a small breathing hole at the fat end of the egg, to get some fresh air in there for the chick. If you decide to do this candle the egg first and mark the air cell line on the shell, so you know which is the "clear" area, then take a sharp object like a fine drill bit and score an X over and over at the end of the egg, very carefully, until you are through the shell. Then use a clean pair of tweezers and remove a small piece of shell, so you have a little hole. Replace the egg in the incubator and leave it like that. The chick should progress over the next few hours.

They did start moving on day 20, (one more than the rest) but it was hard to see at first. I'm spending every spare moment in front of the bator. I'm starting to think that a watched egg never pips! Haha! I'm really hoping I see something today. At what point should we start to worry? I heard mine around 2am when I got up to go to the bathroom and then heard them more clear this morning around 8am. Now I don't hear anything, but I can still see it move once in a while. I wonder what's going on inside that egg!!
When you first start hatching it seems like it takes forever for them to do something and you want to see that something it really is amazing watching the little things work so hard to get out and then you have a little chick they are so little you wonder how did they get turned around and in the right spot and then peck their way out. It will happen I know how hard it is to be waiting and then probably when you are not in the room something will happen. The people on here really know what they are talking about any question you have someone will have a knowledgeable answer and will share. All you can do is sit and wait Good luck

Getting worried now, I am going to wait another couple of hours and then as you suggested I am going to peep a small hole in the air pocket, do I also need to make the hole in the membrane under the thick outer shell ?

Yes, if you make the hole, break through the shell and the outer membrane, so you can see into the egg. Make the hole no bigger than a small pea. I saw you said in a previous post it's been 8 hours, so I'm guessing you're at around 9 hours now. Keep an ear on the little one and if she doesn't make progress and/or shows signs of being in distress or starts to fade, make the hole for her so she can get some fresh air. They breathe the air in the air cell first (after the internal pip) before pipping through the shell, for more oxygen, so making a little breathing hole is often enough help for her to keep her going. Hatching can be a very long drawn out process, but as long as the little one can breathe I leave them to it and only intervene further if I'm pretty sure they are stuck. Oxygen and time is all they need sometimes. Good luck and fingers crossed!

I usually wait about 8 hours and if the chick hasn't progressed to external pip I make a small breathing hole at the fat end of the egg, to get some fresh air in there for the chick. If you decide to do this candle the egg first and mark the air cell line on the shell, so you know which is the "clear" area, then take a sharp object like a fine drill bit and score an X over and over at the end of the egg, very carefully, until you are through the shell. Then use a clean pair of tweezers and remove a small piece of shell, so you have a little hole. Replace the egg in the incubator and leave it like that. The chick should progress over the next few hours.
Sumi I went ahead and made a small hole at the at end of the egg, but once I made the hole I can see another white membrane in there, and when I hold the egg close to my ear I can hear sometime the sound of "tuk tuk tuk", as if he is trying to break it.

Questions:

Why is there another white membrane when I made the whole, what does it mean ?

I left it in the bator after making the hole, is that enough to give her oxygen or do I also need to break the inner membrane. I can upload a picture of it if that helps.

thanks

That is the inner membrane. This membrane is full of blood vessels which will slowly recede during the hatching process and at this stage we don't know how far along she is with that process, so tearing or breaking that membrane is risky. If the chick is cheeping it means she is breathing though, so she did break through this inner membrane already. The little hole in the shell will be adequate for now and will give her some fresh air. Keep an eye on the humidity in the incubator now and make sure it stays at 65%+ to help prevent the inner membrane from drying out.

my last hatch took about a day after they piped externally befor they rushed and hatched i could here them in the egg for about 13 hours then i got the external pip and thenext nigth one hatched then others :)

My chicks are still shaking the egg, (no pipping---Day 21) so I shouldn't be worried, right? I head them peeping around 8am last, but haven't noticed them making noise since. I'm too afraid to poke any holes, will mine be ok?

tap the incubator if you want them to make noise and they should be fine.mine are wiggling now and its only day 17 most of mine are bantams doh no internal pick doh

Back
Top Bottom