Chick speaking inside egg, how long to hatch ?

mabid

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jul 31, 2013
I have around 20 chicken eggs in a home made incubator, Day 20 has completed and day 21 is starting while I post this. I heard a chicken peeping (speaking) from one of the larger eggs that I have. There are no cracks on the egg yet, If I hold the egg close to my ear I can hear him peeping.

How long will it take to hatch? what should I expect over the next few hours? and when should I try to help it hatch myself?

Also why none of the other eggs are showing similar behaviour (they are just quite) ?

Thanks

Abid

Sometimes you may see them wiggle, but they often don't. I used to sit and stare at the incubator on hatch day, walk away for a few minutes and come back to a chick busy zipping! No sign or sound beforehand. Like I said before, some put on quite a show and some just quietly gets on with it. It's normal and part of the hatch experience. It is lovely to see them wiggle and hear them cheep, but sometimes they'll just pop out and surprise you
smile.png
Best of luck with your hatch!

welcome-byc.gif

If you can hear the chick cheeping, it pipped internally (into the air cell). It should pip externally (through the shell) within a few hours and then slowly continue the hatching process by resting, zipping, resting and finally hatching. It usually takes a few hours to complete this process, so don't rush to help if it seems the chick is "stuck". Don't worry if the other eggs are quiet. Some of them make a heck of a racket when they hatch and some quietly get on with it and only start peeping when they are out of the shell. Good luck with your hatch and keep us posted!

I am in the same boat. Today is day 21 and one of my eggs is making noise, but no pipping yet:( I'm so impatient! Can't wait to see my chicky babes:) They have also been moving and shaking around for a couple of days.

Thanks sumi for informative response, I have my fingers crossed as to when it starts external pipping.

One more thing I have noticed is that none of my eggs are moving, are they supposed to move ? as IowaBlueMama said that they are moving and shaking, mine are still like fully at rest, is this something I should be worried about ?

@IowaBlueMama: Good luck, were yours moving at day 20? and have anyone of them pipped externally yet ?

Thanks

I am in the same boat. Today is day 21 and one of my eggs is making noise, but no pipping yet:( I'm so impatient! Can't wait to see my chicky babes:) They have also been moving and shaking around for a couple of days.
Welcome to BYC and good luck with your hatch! Keep us posted.

thanks, it has been about 8 hours it has been cheeping, but hasn't yet been able to pip a hole in the egg, is it normal ? This is my first time so I dont know much about what is going on :)

They did start moving on day 20, (one more than the rest) but it was hard to see at first. I'm spending every spare moment in front of the bator. I'm starting to think that a watched egg never pips! Haha! I'm really hoping I see something today. At what point should we start to worry? I heard mine around 2am when I got up to go to the bathroom and then heard them more clear this morning around 8am. Now I don't hear anything, but I can still see it move once in a while. I wonder what's going on inside that egg!!

great to hear that, I think they will start again after some rest, but I had just one of mine peeping and not even moving, I can just hear the sound, also none has yet pipped.

Back
Top Bottom