Chick Starer with Weevils?!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by griswell, Aug 25, 2010.

1. griswell

griswell Out Of The Brooder

Aug 19, 2010
    Phenix City
    The place I bought my first bag of starter was out of stock until tomorrow, the starter they sell is sealed in plastic bags (MannaPro). I went to the feed store up the road, and they don't sell MannaPro, they sell Southern States, which is in paper bags. I bought some, but when I got it home and opened it, weevils were crawling all through it...hundreds of them! I called the feed store back and they offered me a refund, but the owner said it is perfectly safe to feed it to my chicks with the weevils in it, as it is just extra protein for them.

That doesn't sound like a good idea, but before I run back to the store, does it matter? Is it okay to feed it to them like this? The chicks are between 10 and 20 days old.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2010
  2. littlethorn

littlethorn Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2009
    Northern California
    I won't feed mine anything with bugs in it (including moths). My thought being that if it has bugs in it, it has not been stored properly and who knows if it could have gotten wet etc.

3. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Quote:Exactly!
    Also the bugs are OK, the feed is probably OK, but what about the waste hundreds of bugs produce. And how all of it effects the nutrition of the feed.

Imp

4. write2caroline

write2caroline Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2009
    Jacksonville
    I ordered a bag of organic feed and it was full of bugs too - So I called to company and they were suppose to replace it - which they never did....But I don't like feeding them buggy food. However, I find some cockroaches in their feeding tube thingamagiggy my hubby made from large pvc pipe and when they find one - it is like OOOOH Crunchy with cream filling yum and they go nuts looking for more. So a couple of bugs is one thing - wormy icky food - I don't want to serve it but I think they don't mind.
    Caroline

You know they feed cows chicken poop. ICK right?

5. Beekissed

Beekissed Flock Master

Its just more protein....I'd feed it. It actually will add variety to their diet and get them started on learning to catch bugs. You do know that chickens eat bugs and their own feces? Bug feces won't matter in the long run.

6. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    You might want to edit your thread title. For the life of me I couldn't figure out what a chick starer was.

7. Kedreeva

Kedreeva Longfeather Lane

Jun 10, 2010
    Michigan
    The only problem I can see is that weevils are a beetle, which means a hard shell, which means the chicks won't digest them well if at all. You'd probably need to give them grit on top of the food... the starter has enough 'grit' mixed in so the birds can digest what is in the starter, but certainly not enough to digest beetle shells.

8. sunshine23

sunshine23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2010
    Hialeah, FL
    I've been buying starter feed at a food store with those bugs in them, at first I was a little mad but they love the bugs...I will consider buying from other feed store though, I don't like this place at all

9. eggseroneous

eggseroneous Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2010
    South-Western PA
    I bought a bag of chick starter and it had grain mites in it (scared the heck outa me!)...I just stuck it in the freezer (the big chest freezer in the basement). No more mites! I'm sure it would work with weevils as well. At least you won't have the bugs crawling around to infest any other grain products in your house. And the extra protein for the chicks is a bonus.

10. PhilErvin

PhilErvin Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2009
    Yucaipa, CA
    From what I remember, weevils hatch out because of heat so I wouldn't worry that the feed got wet or moldy. I would agree that it is a good source of protein. I wouldn't worry that the chicks don't have grit in their gizzard, even if a weevil passed through undigested I don't see any harm.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by