Chick status!

How you doing with fluffer butts( chicks)

• I have chicks

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • I don't have chicks

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Chicks are on the way

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have chicks but need/want more

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • I need chicks ( I have none)

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • I have chicks on the way but need / want more

• I'm done with chicks

• I have an accidental batch

• I can't take the chicks I have

• Other( say in the comments)

• Total voters
Also where do you live could you possibly take in some chicks when/If they hatch
I'm in New Zealand - so I think I'm a tad far away <3

I got a head start on hatching this year, my first round went in back in March.

We live in a rather rural place where everyone 'wants' chickens but not many people breed. So I figured I'd hatch a few extra, select my keepers, then offer the rest to the local community. (That's how I justified the quantity I hatched to my hubby - "But the people NEED their chickens!" LOL)

Well I had both a fantastic hatch rate and a spectacular hen to rooster ratio. About 75% hens!! They were so popular that they were all spoken for within 48 hours of advertising them and I now have back-orders haha.

I should mention - It is our early spring here now so this is when we "usually" start prepping the incubators and brooders.

I'm in New Zealand - so I think I'm a tad far away <3

I got a head start on hatching this year, my first round went in back in March.

We live in a rather rural place where everyone 'wants' chickens but not many people breed. So I figured I'd hatch a few extra, select my keepers, then offer the rest to the local community. (That's how I justified the quantity I hatched to my hubby - "But the people NEED their chickens!" LOL)

Well I had both a fantastic hatch rate and a spectacular hen to rooster ratio. About 75% hens!! They were so popular that they were all spoken for within 48 hours of advertising them and I now have back-orders haha.

I should mention - It is our early spring here now so this is when we "usually" start prepping the incubators and brooders.
Oops I thought I replied what I was trying to say is that makes a lot of sense and I definitely don't think I could ship chickens or chicks to New Zealand 😂

Oops I thought I replied what I was trying to say is that makes a lot of sense and I definitely don't think I could ship chickens or chicks to New Zealand 😂
I honestly wish you "could". You guys have SO many wonderful varieties that we do not have. BUT.. our biosecurity rules are impossibly tight.. so not feasible for the average person here to obtain new things from overseas :(

I have 24 chicks (ages a few days to almost 2 weeks!)
I need more (hatching eggs in school this spring).
I will need more in the spring as there are 2 more 8x12 coops coming to the farm from another location. So we will prob add 24 next year, & 24 the year after that...then we will see where we stand! ❤️

I have 24 chicks (ages a few days to almost 2 weeks!)
I need more (hatching eggs in school this spring).
I will need more in the spring as there are 2 more 8x12 coops coming to the farm from another location. So we will prob add 24 next year, & 24 the year after that...then we will see where we stand! ❤️
If you could possibly take some chicks from Atlanta Georgia right now that would be really helpful.

I honestly wish you "could". You guys have SO many wonderful varieties that we do not have. BUT.. our biosecurity rules are impossibly tight.. so not feasible for the average person here to obtain new things from overseas :(
Yeah I figured I know somebody who lives in New Zealand's and they have chickens they settled for chickens even though they badly wanted ferrets ( which as you know are not allowed)

Yeah I figured I know somebody who lives in New Zealand's and they have chickens they settled for chickens even though they badly wanted ferrets ( which as you know are not allowed)
We have many native varieties of birds and lizards that are under threat due to predation. Ferrets are an introduced species to NZ and unfortunately, over time, escaped and released pets have become a problem feral ferret population. Ferrets are not the only animal now being restricted in NZ pet ownership due to their risk to the wider natural environment.

We have many native varieties of birds and lizards that are under threat due to predation. Ferrets are an introduced species to NZ and unfortunately, over time, escaped and released pets have become a problem feral ferret population. Ferrets are not the only animal now being restricted in NZ pet ownership due to their risk to the wider natural environment.
Cool - think this conversation has tired into I conversation about new Zealand-

Back
Top Bottom