Chick stopped up-pics still not sure!

JD

Songster
12 Years
Sep 10, 2008
Tennessee
I have a 5 to 6 month old Silver Phoenix that is backed up with poop but his vent is not blocked. I used a dropper full a few time of olive oil and relieved him some of the poop. Also have soaked him in some warm water. But he is still full of poop. What else can I do? Can I give him some kind of enema with water or what? All he has ever had it the medicated starter and always fresh water. He stretches one leg out towards the front and is still swollen underneith quite a bit. I know he is full of poop because what has come out was thick.

Still not sure what's going on. He has been in my house since I last wrote and been giving him vitamins and scramble egg with a little buttermilk in it. He is perky with good appetite and pooping well so he is not stopped up from that. He still has swelling underneith but not as bad and throw's his right foot out in an awkard way stretching it out and his toes on both feet are curling under. Does anyone know what might be going on?

IMG_1361640x480.jpg

IMG_1356640x480.jpg

IMG_1354640x480.jpg

Last edited:
How about feeding him some yogurt? The probiotics in it might help. I would start him on some adult feed. What about some greens? Good luck!

He is so swollen back there I'm afraid to give him any more food until he releives himself some more. When I gave him the olive oil up his rear he was able to pass some but not much. I can tell it oil it up some and loosened the stool but it is still pasty some. I want to be able to releive him some more. Anyone out there know what else I can do to help him pass all this?

Thank you for answering, that does help. I forget to mention I also gave him a dropper full of the olive oil by mouth and have him inside to watch him. He has been in a cage with 3 other babies in the coop. The other are fine. I don't have yogert on hand but will scramble some egg. How often can I give him the oil if you think that will help? Maybe on some bread?

I posted wrong and put my info at the top. Can anyone help me on the with my Little Man?

Try warm molasses water. Molasses water is a laxative for chickens. Make up some molasses water; the ratio/recipe is about 1 tablespoon of WARM water with a drop of molasses in it...so that the water color is light to medium brown. You'll need to increase this ratio for him, as he is an older chick. Don't over do the molasses content. Usually 3-4 days of molasses water will resolve the problem. Make sure you offer regular (not molasses) water, too, after he drinks a reasonable amount (12-15 sips) of the warm molasses water.

Don't won't to question you but he is pooping fine. Look at last pic which when clicked on is a video. He is throwing his right foot out and toes are curling under. He doesn't want to stand long.

Okay, my mistake...I thought you'd posted that he seemed 'stopped up". Molasses water tends to work better than oil for constipation. If his leg issue isn't related to an illness (and I haven't any suggestions regarding disease) I might think it is a leg or tendon injury. Is his leg sore when you touch it or move it around? Young chickens can sometimes slip a tendon, but often the signs of slipped tendons are the bird walking on his/her elbow, but the toes do curl inward when there is a slip. If the tendon slipped, search here on BYC for "slipped tendon repair" and you'll find info on how to replace the tendon into the joint groove.

Back
Top Bottom