Chick swallowed a string

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by HyLinda, Jun 14, 2010.

1. HyLinda

HyLinda Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2010
    Warrens, WI
    My 2wk old keet swallowed a string from a feed back. I couldn't pull it out so I cut the string off at the mouth. Don't know how much is inside. Will he die? Is crop surgery advised?

Last edited: Jun 14, 2010
  2. boogiedog

boogiedog Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2010
    Oakland hills, CA
    Wait and see; how long was the string? Hopefully it will pass easily. Keep and eye on her eating, drinking and pooping.

3. my first peepers

my first peepers Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2008
    South Western VT
    This once happened to one of my chicks and the vet did surgery. There was way more string in the crop than we expected. Good luck!!

4. HyLinda

HyLinda Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2010
    Warrens, WI
    I cut the string off as close as I could. After several days all is well.[​IMG]

5. welovechickens

welovechickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    Those little stinkers will eat ANYTHING that is long and thin! Give them some cooked spaghetti and watch what happens. [​IMG]

6. elabell

elabell Out Of The Brooder

Jun 14, 2010
    San Diego
    My mom brought home two chicks that had been hatched in her preschool (she is a preschool teacher). The first day home, I was watching them and happened to be facing the back-end of one. She started pooping, but instead of being a quick poop, like usual, it kept going. It ended up being a rubber band! Yuck! I'm glad I was right there, because the second it was out, the two of them started fighting over it. Not surprising, rubber bands look just like worms. I was able to snatch it from them. I have no idea how many cycles through it made.

In my experience, I have found baby chicks are quite resilient. While you want to keep them as healthy and happy as possible, sometimes they find a way to get into things they shouldn't. But often they will find a way to work it out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by