Chick Treats

louclare

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 5, 2011
What treats do you give your chicks? So far we have given our 3 week olds: grass clippings, cut up grapes, scrambled eggs (They didn't like...), and bananas (they didn't like those either.)
We also give them grit, along with their medicated feed.
Thanks!

I'm new here but I figured I'd start by posting that I just started giving my white leghorn pullets plain cooked ramen noodles! They love them! I don't give them too many, just a couple and it keeps them extremely occupied and very happy!

What's funny is I give all three pullets a noodle at the same time and they run around trying to keep their noodles from each other, but they ALL have one so it's just chaos!

When mine turned 6 weeks I started giving them treats. I got one of those hangers from the wild bird section that you slip the bricks of seed down in, for less than $1.50 at Lowes. It has a chain to hang and a lid that closes. Instead of using it for wild birds, I slip veggies and treats down in it and hang it in their run. Then there is no fighting, no dirty treats and ants cant get it. Mine like cabbage, scrambled eggs, strawberries, cantaloupe.

What kind of age (roughly) does everyone usually start giving their chooks treats? My fella is coming on to 9 weeks and I gave him his first treat today (Or more that he stole it from me
tongue.png
)

Based on what folks have said on here I think I may be giving my girls treats to early. They got a small worm from the garden last week and we bought some dried meal worms last night. They ate them all right up. They are almost two weeks old. I haven't seen any issues with feeding them treats this early though. I have not given them any grit yet. Directions on the bag said they need to be 8 weeks old before I can give them grout. Will keep an eye on them.

mine are between 9-12 weeks .. I've been giving them our leftovers so far the LOVED barley -veggie stew even drinking the juice , left over wheat-grass , peas porridge, oatmeal , rice , noodles corn ...they also love it when I toss them bunches of weeds like clover or dandelion and of course bread

What is the thinking behind not giving them treats when they're under 6-8 weeks? I figure if their momma were raising them, they'd be loose, roaming naround and eating whatever was in her enfironment.

My bag of Chick Grit says to start at 2 weeks.

Back
Top Bottom