chick walking on her hocks with curled toes

puppy767

In the Brooder
10 Years
Aug 11, 2009
she also has a soar red spot where she puts weight on her hocks what can i do to treat this i put little shoes on her feet and separated her toes is there anything i can do to treat the bent hocks
smile.png

She probably has a vitamin deficiency. Best to isolate her from the others and start her on vitamins, Aviacharge is good. Make sure she has lots of chick grit (finely crushed limestone) crushed tums work for calcium too but I think chick grit is better. Give her whatever she likes to eat (not catfood, but variety, fruits, cereal, chick starter, hard boiled or scrambled eggs, yogurt, cottage cheese. Let her have some sunshine when you can. This is a difficult thing to treat, if that's what it is. I'm not sure that splinting the hocks will make any difference, but maybe you could try with light balsa wood and some kind of soft wrap. We have had two pullets in the past years that had this at different times; some may say that it is Marek's, and it could be, but there are a few conditions that have these symptoms, and Marek's should not be the first thing that comes to mind.

thanks for answering so there is no way to actually treat it what will the vitamins do just prevent it from getting worse

puppy767 I had a chick the same turned toes.
some time ago,
it was only 3 days old when i noticed the the flaw,
I held it and gently pur my thumb into its palms
Gentley messaged each foot about 3 x a day.Nerer thought i would be rubbing toes of a chick LoL
and the toes uncurled out about the 5-day
and its still doing very well.it was limping so very badly.
I had no choice and I kept it on a feed diet,
for 2 weeks of chopped hard boiled eggs.and grit then
chick starter feed.
I hope this helps. oh. as I rubbed her feet
she was very still so I knew she enjoyed the foot message.

thankyou mine just passed away this morning but thankyou for the advice so you just massaged her legs and they got better that quickly

I'm sorry she didn't make it, but not surprised. It is hard to treat and you did the best you could. Sometimes no matter what you do it doesn't work, but some have been able to cure theirs, so it is always worth trying, and worth paying attention to how they did it.
hmm.png
But keep an eye on your others for a while, just in case. There are lots of things that can cause those symptoms. hugs.

Back
Top Bottom