Pullet’s legs/feet not working

chickieandpeeps

Chirping
May 9, 2022
I have a 4 month old Polish pullet whose legs seem to have stopped working last week. She has always been lively and picks at food, but her crop has been pretty empty the past few days.

At first, she mostly lid down but could walk a few steps on her hocks. She seemed to get better the next day, taking a few steps with her feet then dropping to her hocks. I made her a sling/chair to get the pressure off her legs that she has been in for the week. Her toes are curled a little weird, and she does not grip anything with her feet, but she is kicking her legs around more. One foot is completely limp and the other is barely active.

I take her out in the grass daily but she just lays on her side pecking at the grass and dirt. She can’t get her feet under her or balance anymore, just lays on her side like in the picture.

I have checked her over frequently for injury, illness, and bumblefoot but have found nothing. She does not react to manipulation of her feet or legs. The rest of my flock is as healthy and lively as ever.

She is vaccinated against Marek’s.

Is there anything I can do to help her?

Attachments

• IMG_0528.jpeg
    IMG_0528.jpeg
    924.2 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_0529.jpeg
    IMG_0529.jpeg
    992.5 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Hmm. What's her diet? Crested breeds have vaulted skulls and are prone to neurological issues, most can be fixed with vitamin therapy unless she suffered an injury.

Have you tried human vitamin B complex which has b2 riboflavin and all the rest b’s? If not I would get this now, and give 1/2 tablet daily either straight into the beak and throat or crushed in water or a little food and fed to her. Do you have a rooster who might have injured her back? Mareks can still be a possible problem, but hopefully it isn’t. A chickens sling chair might be something you would want to try to get her up in front of food and water, and you can take her out for periods of rest and sleep. Check out posts 5-12 for designs:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/versions-of-chick-chairs-please.1166308/

Thank you all for your help! I ended up culling her because she wasn’t improving and her quality of life was so poor. I read so many threads hoping to read about the progress of the birds to help me decide to cull vs keep treating her, but most people understandably never update threads.

My little Polish would eat the vitamin B pill right out of my hand, but after about two weeks from the start of her illness, including a week of vitamin B treatment, she wasn’t getting better. It was horrible to make the decision then cull her, but I think it was for the best and that she would not have gotten better.

Sorry for your loss. What are you feeding? It may take a week or two for riboflavin to help if it is a riboflavin deficiency. If you have any others with similar symptoms, I would get a necropsy to see what is going on. Hopefully it is not Mareks, but hard to know without getting testing.

Hi Guys! Check this one out. I’m trying this with my Polly. she’s improving already.switched her to non medicated feeds and I see improvement right away. this youtube video is really helpful.

I already took my 9week pullet to the poultry ver and did xray for $300 + medications and they all did not help!
But this video might be just what my Polly needs. she’s drinking water again and moving her feet!

If a chicken has curled toe paralysis from a riboflavin (vitamin B 2) deficiency, human B complex or super B complex is probably the most inexpensive treatment, 1/4 to 1/2 tablet daily, crushed and put into a small amount of water or food daily. It is hard to overdose and inexpensive, costing $6-15 at most drug stores or vitamin aisles. It contains all B vitamins and C. Curled toe paralysis can also occur from Mareks disease or a sciatic nerve injury or pressure.

Back
Top Bottom