Chick walking on hocks and leg turned out

Jun 30, 2010
I really would love some advice. My quail chick which is about a week old had splayed legs. I used a rubber band on her legs to help with this problem as I did with about 4 other chicks. The 4 other chicks are walking perfectly now but I took her band off and she is walking on her hocks and one entire leg appears to be rotated out. I am very motivated to help this little chick and will do anything to make her walk normally again. Any advice?

Can you post a pic? Video is best, to upload a video, you have to post it to a video platform and upload the link here.

Attachments

• IMG_1917.jpeg
    IMG_1917.jpeg
    340 KB · Views: 16
I believe this is a condition called spraddle leg. You treat it by basically creating hobbles for the chick that hold it's legs under it in the right position so it can practice walking and building up the correct muscles. Vitamin therapy (Nutri Drench in the water and a bit of time in the sunlight each day) may also benefit it. Here's a good article on the condition: https://www.fresheggsdaily.blog/2012/04/spraddle-leg.html

I believe this is a condition called spraddle leg. You treat it by basically creating hobbles for the chick that hold it's legs under it in the right position so it can practice walking and building up the correct muscles. Vitamin therapy (Nutri Drench in the water and a bit of time in the sunlight each day) may also benefit it. Here's a good article on the condition: https://www.fresheggsdaily.blog/2012/04/spraddle-leg.html
It was after I treated it for splay leg that this occurred. All the others are fine now but this one looks like her whole leg is completely tuned 90 degrees.

alright, I don't have much experience with this, but do the vitamin therapy. Add nutri drench, or save-a-chick vitamins to her water. If you don't have this on hand, put apple cider vinegar in her wet run till you can get it on hand. I bet fort cluck can help more. Sorry i don't have much to add.

Back
Top Bottom