Chick will not shut up!!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by shelleyd2008, Feb 18, 2009.

1. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I have a chick that hatched I think 4 days ago. It does absolutely nothing but cry!! I can't get it to stop! I'm not even sure if it is eating. It is in a brooder with 4 tuxedo quail chicks, but this chicken chick is not much bigger than they are. It doesn't act weak, so I think it is eating, but it just won't stop peeping. It is really driving me crazy. What can I do??

2. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

is it cold? is it drinking and eating? have you tried putting a feather duster or small stuff toy for a snuggle buddy in there? it may not be relating well to the quail chicks and may feel like the "odd one out". Is it pooping normally /have you checked for pasty butt? If it's crying nonstop, there is SOMETHING wrong.

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Put it's beak down into the water. more than once. Can't make noise when it's swallowing water!

4. freddy22

freddy22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2008
    Illinois
    yea...something is deff. not right....

5. chicken master

chicken master Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2009
    South carolina
    Are the peeps short or long and held out. If they are held out that means thier is somthing wrong. If stops acting perky or just sits around it is sick and needs to be put down.

6. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    Quote:WOAH.......hasty much??? I don't think the second a chick is weak it needs put down.

7. stormylady

stormylady Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    Illinois
    Im pretty new my babies are just over 2 weeks old but i found out pretty quick that the chicks don't like the dark, so if the light is off they cry, if it is too cold they cry alot . I also noticed that they kinda got there own little friends amongst the whole group. So he might just be lonely for a best bud. So the stuffed toy or feather duster is a good Idea , Just my opinion, but worth a shot. Good luck with your baby I hope he gets more comfortable so you both can rest........... again good luck
    Sandy

8. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    I posted about this too a week or so ago. the chick deteriorated after the 3rd or 4th day I tried to keep it going but only delayed the inevitable. I think something is wrong with it at least that has been my experience but when I posted it others said they had a non stop chirping chick that grew out of it so who knows??? It is maddening after a while, I could hear mine all over my house there was no escaping it.

9. NancyDz

NancyDz Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Dutch Flat, CA
    Does it have pasty butt? Mine would chirp loudly with that too....

10. Chickie Mamma

Chickie Mamma Farmer at Heart

Apr 20, 2008
    Sherman, CT
    I had a psycho chick too... I put a mirror, stuffed animal amd it still peeped LOUD !! [​IMG] It wasn't until his friend hatched days later (Duckling) that he shut up.. Good Luck!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by