Chick with a swollen eye

MasterofNone

Songster
Mar 29, 2022
West Michigan
One of our australorp chicks (4wo) has a swollen squinty eye. I only found it about 30min ago. We put a little bit of water and VetRx on it (then I found the most recent eye injury thread about saline and neosporin:barnie)

To me, it looks like a swollen injury, but I have literally never dealt with any chicken injuries before, so what do I know? At least I don't see anything else is the matter with her right now.

We separated her from the others. She hasn't wanted food , but everyone was eating this AM.
20220524_162333_capture.jpg
20220524_164216.jpg
I added some electrolytes to her water just to help boost her a bit. Right now she just seems to just want to sleep, until we leave the room she's in, then she starts alarm peeping till someone returns. Poor, sweet thing. At least she isn't lethargic, just feeling a bit sad and clingy.

We don't have any chicken vets around here, so we are one our own with treatment.

One question is: do you guys mean like the plain saline we use for contacts (not the stuff that burns) or is there another specific kind?

And Neosporin is safe for her eye? Her eye itself looks ok, just really swollen eyelid area. But I definitely don't want to hurt her any more than she already is.

Any other advice is welcome. Thank you!

*I am trying to attach pics, but if they don't load check below.

I bought some terramycin to put on her eye. How many times a day?

And as for saline solution, all I could find is the human eye 'contact solution' stuff but it is called 'saline solution.' I am just a little concerned because it has a ton of ingredients like boric acid, etc. Please, is this the stuff? Thanks in advance.

Thank you for your help! She looks 100x better now. Her eyelid is only barely pinker on that side and the swelling is almost completely gone. This morning I put her back in the coop and so far so good. She went crazy dustbathing for a few minutes before piling up with her friends for a rainy day nap. So, (fingers crossed) all appears to be well again at the coop.

Back
Top Bottom