1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Chick with bald back - is (s)he sick?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by otterbrook, May 31, 2010.

1. otterbrook

otterbrook In the Brooder

Mar 20, 2008
    One of our chicks has a bald spot along the top of her back. The skin looks raw in spots and kind of flaky and dandruff-y. It does look like there are some feathers sprouting so perhaps this is just a phase that I have never noticed before, but the others don't look quite as bad. I don't want to integrate these 4 until I am sure that this one is not sick...

Here is a (not-very-good) picture of my chick's back:
    [​IMG]

2. I've had chicks feather out that way. Don't worry. One is almost exactly like that right now except still has the fluff on his back.

3. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Songster

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    Yes there are definite signs on the back of feathers starting to grow. Your chick will soon be fully feathered,
    Sandie

4. otterbrook

Mar 20, 2008
    Thanks - I feel much better now [​IMG]

5. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Don't want to make you nervous, but my last hatch had 4 bare backed chicks like that. I tried everything I could think of.

They all feathered in beautifully, after a while. Very slowly compared to the others. And I now have 4 roosters in need of homes...........................

6. otterbrook

Mar 20, 2008
    Well, I suppose healthy roosters are better than sick hens....but they will be looking for a new home [​IMG]

7. fastpat

fastpat Songster

Quote:Out of my 26 Partridge Rocks, one is like that. He's otherwise in good health, eats and drinks and isn't intimidated by the others.

Man, is he ever the ugly one though and always has been, small too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: