Chick with big comb. Unsure sex...

Here is a picture from today. Its wattle would be bigger if it was a a cockerel. Right? Somebody said that there chick had a big comb from a young age but turned out to be a hen. What do you think?

It's not so much that the comb is big, it's that it's pretty pink. But I guess you'll know for sure in a couple more weeks if it continues to grow and get red.

Here is a picture from today. Its wattle would be bigger if it was a a cockerel. Right? Somebody said that there chick had a big comb from a young age but turned out to be a hen. What do you think?
That comb is much too pink, much too early for a pullet. It's a cockerel, without a doubt. Pullets do not start to pink up in the comb until they are getting close to laying eggs. A 6 week old chick is nowhere near ready for egg laying, therefore it must be a cockerel.

People will tell you anything about all sorts of things (many may even think they are correct) and if you want to believe it, that is up to you. I would however suggest that it makes sense to take advice from people who are experienced and knowledgeable..... this applies to all things in life and not just chicken gender. The previous two posters on this thread are certainly that and I would trust their judgement even if it went against my own, which it doesn't on this occasion. I would therefore start looking for a new home for him sooner than later.

Thank you everybody. If anybody knows of homes in the Seattle Washington Area, let me know. Would it be inhumane if we seperated him from his sister. Her name is Peanut.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom