chick with bloody head

fussypuss

In the Brooder
6 Years
May 26, 2013
California
hi,
this i went to let the chickens out to find one of my 3 week old wyandotte baby had a bloody head. she must have been pecked by the older hens.
she is sleeping in a corner and we have the heat lamp on, but she doesn't look to well!
any tips?

I would clean up her head the best you can with some warm, soapy water. Dry it off well, and then apply some antibiotic ointment (with no "cain/caine" ingredients, since those can be harmful to chickens) to the wound. You could also spray it with some sort of wound spray, like bluekote, if you have any/can get some. I would then keep her separate from any older birds or other rambunctious chicks until the wound heals, since they will probably peck at the wound and injure her more. Make sure she eats and drinks well enough, and she should be fine.

It now seems that she can't open one of her eyes she has a small amount of blood next to the eye.
Any tips?
The eye might just be swollen shut due to the injury. As long as you keep the wound clean and prevent her from getting injured more, the eye should get better in a few days.

Are the 3 week olds with a broody hen, or are they on their own? They should be fenced off from the older hens if they are alone. The BluKote may help her not get pecked by the other chicks, but don't get it in the eyes.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom