Chick with broken toe nail

heaven1

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jun 7, 2009
Portland,OR
I have a 4week old Jersey Giant who has broken a toenail down to the skin. I put Quick Stop on and it has stopped bleeding. The nail is hanging by a tiny bit of tissue, not sure if should cut off the nail. I will not take her to a vet.
Any experienced folks with some suggestions?
Thanks!

If the nail is just hanging on by a thread, I'd pull it off. This way you can use your quick-stop right then to stem any bleeding. If you let it alone and the chicken pulls it off or another chicken pics at it, then it will still bleed but you won't necessarily be available right then to treat it. Fresh blood is also very exciting to pick at for the other flock members. Don't know why, exactly, but it is. I'd opt for known course of action rather than leaving something like that to chance. Then clean the wound as superchemicalgirl described. If you have vet wrap, you might consider putting the TAB (triple anti-biotic) on a small piece of gauze and securing it to the toe with vet wrap. Chickens walk through lots of bird poop and this will help to keep that stuff out of the wound area. My ranch store sells vet wrap in several colors and one of them closely resembles the color of chicken feet to it blends in and I think you'll have less pecking interest from the rest of the flock.

Dan

Thanks for the suggestions of how to care for our little. Th nail actually came off and it was not as close to the skin as it appeared. Now I will put TAB on and try a wrap.
Thanks again:)

Back
Top Bottom