Chick with chronic pasty butt has white liquid leaking from vent

FowlWitch

Songster
Jun 11, 2019
California
I was washing his butt and noticed two things: it looks like his butt was getting pecked by the other chicks, and his vent was leaking a white liquid.

Pics: https://imgur.com/a/lvZT3BG

What might be the issue? I've been putting Corid in their water since day one to prevent coccidiosis, so I don't think it's that. They're all eating Flock Raiser by Purina. No heat lamp (chicks are about a week old now).

Any ideas?

Oh poor baby...ouch! I would agree with @Texas Kiki, any white liquid I would imagine to be pus/infection draining. Probably wouldn't be a bad idea to give meds and electrolytes to the whole bunch. Maybe even give them the heat lamp back, at least overnight? Not sure what your temperature is where you live though.

It might have a yolk sac infection.
Bacterial infection.
It sucks because I specifically set up little tupperware containers inside the hatcher so that the chicks wouldn't be dragging their bellies in the fluids from their siblings eggs :( I guess that experiment failed

Oh poor baby...ouch! I would agree with @Texas Kiki, any white liquid I would imagine to be pus/infection draining. Probably wouldn't be a bad idea to give meds and electrolytes to the whole bunch. Maybe even give them the heat lamp back, at least overnight? Not sure what your temperature is where you live though.
It's 80F in the room (currently 2:37 am). It heats up between 85 and 90F during the day. They stopped basking under the heat lamp around day 3, so I assumed they were saying they felt warm enough with the ambient temperature. I'll try to set the lamp to turn on only at night, maybe, because I'm concerned it'll be too hot during the day with how hot it's been the past 2 days.

As far as treating with antibiotics, would fishmox be okay?

IMG_20190815_050110023.jpg

It looks like he's frizzled! He's so precious... I hope the fish Mox works :(

View attachment 1878448

Back
Top Bottom