Chick with cross beak *pics*

I have the same question as courtnicole2010. Wondering what is the proper dosage of Bioplasma to feed a 4 week old cross-beak golden polish chick. Also is Penetran mail order only or does someone know of a drug store chain that might carry it. Thanks in advance for any info.

courtnicole2010: I put one bioplasma cal-phos about this size= o per cup.

I have separated my crossed beak chick and put it in with one that had a cold but is better so she could get some food and rest!

Her beak is at 90 degree angle
I am also giving her vitamins (polyvisal) and putting penteran on twice a day I have also made her mash and hand fed her

redoak: click here http://www.penetran.com/ and type in your zip code in the "find a store near you" thing. I found it at several places. It costs about $15 or less.
Push her beak back into place you can even use rubber band around for a few minutes (make sure she is by herself) or at least hold in place for as long as you can. I put the penetran on twice a day. I have noticed a little improvement over the past day! ( 87 degrees maybe?)
yippiechickie.gif

Good Luck Raindrop! I really would suggest both the cell salts (5$) at the local health food store and the penetran

I have an week old EE pullet with crossed beak...I trimmed the top back and a little on the bottom.....I did have silver nitrate sticks on hand to stop the bleeding. She is also getting wet starter (mash) 3xs per day and is growing and eating like her sisters and brother.
I also have a red laced cornish 3 day old chick that has just started so I already trimmed its beak...just a little on top and she is doing fine so far. I am hoping that with minor adjustments that she will not have eating problems as it gets worse.
-nj

Thanks for the info. on where they came from.

Just FYI - I found a REALLY good page that cites studies on crossed beaks. It isn't a simple answer of how they occur - and apparently non-crossed beaked parents can possibly carry the gene which is I believe recessive and pass it along to their offspring. It seems like starting with crossed beaked parents however produces greater numbers of crossed beaked offspring - but like I said, non-crossed beaked parents can still carry it in their genes.

EDIT: (I should add that the article says not all causes are genetic )

Anyway - I'm not a scientist but this makes good reading:

http://groups.msn.com/polishchickens/crookedbeak.msnw

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom