Chick with crossed beak (pic) ?

mcleveland

In the Brooder
7 Years
Mar 6, 2012
Northeast Georgia
We have chicks that are almost 3 weeks old. I noticed a little over a week ago that one of the brabanter chicks beak is crossed pretty good (see pic). I've watched her eat, and it is a pitiful sight no doubt. I do what I can to accommodate her food-wise so that she can scoop. She is my runt out of 23 chicks. I'm not sure what, if anything else I should do for her. Do you think she will survive? And if she does I hardly think she'll be able to free range? I would really appreciate any suggestions at this point. Thanks!

I have a silver seabright that was born like that. She is now about a year old and has no problem eating. She is fiesty and engeretic. Matter of fact, she outlasted her siblings!

I have a silver seabright that was born like that. She is now about a year old and has no problem eating. She is fiesty and engeretic. Matter of fact, she outlasted her siblings!

Oh that's good to know!! Sebrights are so stinkin' cute too!!
smile.png

I bought a pullet from a great guy, great breeder that has a crossed beak. She was headed for the pot so she came to live out her chicken life with me, a beat up EE (new flock mates beat the crappola out of her so my neighbor gave her to me) and another scrubby looking little calico EE that was going to the pot with her cross beaked friend. I clipped her beak a bit with a nail clipper and filed it smooth. She does just fine with some compensation for what must be affected vision. If I hold out a small treat she goes for it but misses every time. If I hold out a bigger treat she hits it and gets her share before her buddies get it all. She is a darling and a very happy girl who loves to forage. I don't know how well she does out there but she's ready at the gate every morning. She gets her regular feed and loves the occasional bit of yogurt or warm oatmeal. Don't give up on that girl, an occasional beak-i-cure and shes good to go. Wow my sentences are really long! Sorry!

I bought a pullet from a great guy, great breeder that has a crossed beak. She was headed for the pot so she came to live out her chicken life with me, a beat up EE (new flock mates beat the crappola out of her so my neighbor gave her to me) and another scrubby looking little calico EE that was going to the pot with her cross beaked friend. I clipped her beak a bit with a nail clipper and filed it smooth. She does just fine with some compensation for what must be affected vision. If I hold out a small treat she goes for it but misses every time. If I hold out a bigger treat she hits it and gets her share before her buddies get it all. She is a darling and a very happy girl who loves to forage. I don't know how well she does out there but she's ready at the gate every morning. She gets her regular feed and loves the occasional bit of yogurt or warm oatmeal. Don't give up on that girl, an occasional beak-i-cure and shes good to go. Wow my sentences are really long! Sorry!

Not a problem! LOL! Thanks for replying! No, I'm not going to give up on her. I haven't come across a cross beak before and was concerned for her. I want her to be able to grow up and have a good life here with us. Does it hurt the chicks to clip their beaks or do they not have feeling there? If we decide to clip, how much should I clip? hmm...maybe I should do a google search on tha?. Oh! And the top and bottom (lip/beak) doesn't touch or close when she is at rest. Should I be concerned with that? Thanks.

I think it depends on the severity of the cross beak. I had one, trimmed it back, thought all was going well...he seemed to be eating well. This chicken was a brahma so it was heavily feathered....well I picked him up one day and he was really thin! We ended up culling him and feeling awful that we had not done it earlier!

I would keep a close eye on weight, is all I am saying, I know a lot of chickens do fine with a crossed beak but we learned our lesson here!

Back
Top Bottom