Chick with deformed leg *updated*

Still not getting better. he still flops around. Do you think I should cull????
sad.png
I really think the leg is broke.

Is it in any obvious pain? If you a thinking about culling, think what is the best for this little fellow. To live a life like that? Or be nursed all his life? Culling is hard, but when you think about the long term future for the animal it helps to decide what is best for it. All the best what ever way you choose. (I've been watching this since it started, maybe we culled too early with some of ours but the bandaid never worked at all, with any of ours, and seeing as we were selling them later, it was more fair to cull than have this semi-helpless creature flopping around everywhere, getting trodden on in panics, and obviously striggling to stay alive anyway.)

Yeah he was pretty bad couldnt walk at all. I told god to take him and he did last night, he died on his own. It wouldnt have been a good life for him.

I have another chick that just hatched. He seems to have a sore on his leg. He just holds it up seems to get around good.

I'm glad to hear that you have faith in God! Is there any chance of some more pictures? Tiny things are so hard to photograph aren't they. Just try putting it up agains a white piece of paper in bright light and see how that focuses.

I very much do
smile.png
I washed the leg and it has a hole in it. Its been limping since hatch so maybe it just wasnt formed all the way?

It looks like a staph infection in the hock. I've treated these before and was able to clear up the infection but had to cull the chick because the hock joint didn't work anymore. This chick needs antibiotics asap - baytril is what my vet gave me. The abscess where the hole is should be kept open and flushed out with betadine as there is probably still infection in there. I don't hold out much hope for these chicks anymore, but it never hurts to try.

Back
Top Bottom