Chick with growth on breast.

Allilang

Chirping
May 21, 2022
One of my 8-10 week old chickens is about half the size of her hatchmates. I noticed that there is a very large growth on her breast. It seems to be loose and hard under the skin. She doesn't yet show any sign of pain.

She is very sweet, so I'd like to save her if possible, but an expensive vet bill is out of the question.

After some more research, an impacted crop seems to be the most likely cause. However, she is still very active and managed to keep a chunk of pizza crust my neighbor brought over away from her much larger siblings. She also comes for scratch grains they like as snacks and eats a lot.

Today after removing food and leaving her to rest with only water, I drained her crop. She's been eating feathers.... I can still feel something more in her but nothing comes out. Would it be a good idea to withhold food to do another drain after she drinks?

Today after removing food and leaving her to rest with only water, I drained her crop. She's been eating feathers.... I can still feel something more in her but nothing comes out. Would it be a good idea to withhold food to do another drain after she drinks?
I would take care trying to drain the crop, they can aspirate.

Work on hydration, offer her some wet feed. Soft cooked egg makes a nice treat as well. Provide grit (Crushed Granite).
I'd get coconut oil into her and see if she's able to work the material through.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

I would take care trying to drain the crop, they can aspirate.

Work on hydration, offer her some wet feed. Soft cooked egg makes a nice treat as well. Provide grit (Crushed Granite).
I'd get coconut oil into her and see if she's able to work the material through.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/
I had to drain her crop again. It was full of feathers and sand . I've now put her completely in isolation and am feeding her soft things only until all the junk gets worked through.

Now the million dollar question is why I Sweetpea eating so many feathers and sand? Why is so little getting worked through? She loves to eat any treats I give the flock, but her growth is clearly stunted, so she's had some problem for a while.

Back
Top Bottom