CHICK WITH INTESTINES ON OUTSIDE

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by dadsgirl, Apr 13, 2009.

1. dadsgirl

dadsgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2008
    jay, florida
    just had a chick hatch and his intestines are on the outside.
    does anyone know what causes this??
    and if there is anything you can do ??

thanks, angie

2. Jenski

Jenski Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2008
    Middle Tennessee
    Oh God, I am so sorry. Your chick may die on its own, but you may have to cull it yourself if it doesn't happen soon. I have never heard of a chick surviving such a malformation.

Please keep us posted. You may send a PM to MissPrissy for instructions on how to cull a new chick. I believe she uses kitchen shears to remove the head . . . quick and merciful.

Others with experience may have more to add.

So very sorry.

Ed. to add - - if you are a minor, please get an adult's help before you do anything!

Last edited: Apr 13, 2009
  3. lceh

lceh Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2008
    Central Virginia
  4. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    i'm so sorry. i don't think there is any saving it. i had one chick hatch once and it got stuck to the egg and that pulled it's intestines out. Raced it to the vet and they couldn't do anything, so put it to sleep. That ran me $135. So, if you can follow the advice of the other posters and do it yourself, it would be a much better option.

Again, i'm so sorry. [​IMG]

5. Farm Frenzy

Farm Frenzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Oak Hill, Florida
    vinager and baking soda mixed together will make the baby fall asleep and just never wake up. Sorry, that has happened to me before and I know how much it SUCKS!!![​IMG] [​IMG]

6. Glenda L Heywood

Glenda L Heywood Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2009
    The egg when being comp[osed had a flw and it is a genetic mistake
    simply has to be put to sleep

7. tellynpeep

tellynpeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2008
    SW New Hampshire
    Quote:Please beware of what you read on the internet. The referenced site states that the method of euthanasia described is approved by the AVMA. It is specifically stated in the AVMA guidelines for euthanasia that this method of CO2 euthanasia is "UNACCEPTABLE." From: www.avma.org

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by