chick with leg problem

Hennyhandler

SilkieJax
10 Years
Jun 10, 2009
Cullman
I need some help. I posted about this in the chick section and haven't gotten any responses so I thought maybe this area would be more appropriate. I hatched out chicks and one of them looks like she has spraddle leg at least that is what I though after research. She will not put weight on one leg, holds it out to the side and hops on the other one to get around. This causes her to be unbalanced and has a hard time. I put the bandaid around her legs and it pulled her leg in to where it is supposed to be but I don't see where that would make a difference if she isn't putting weight on it at all.
So then I wondered if it might be a slipped tendon. I couldn't find that much info on this to know if that is what it is or not. I did see that her hock is a little swollen and twisted a little. I tried to pull her leg back to stretch it but I didn't see any difference.

She is soo sweet and I really want to help her but I just don't know what to do for her.

Here is some pictures. As you can see she is putting all her weight on the one leg and it looks as if the toes are starting to turn out a little. Any suggestions? Thanks.

I am having the EXACT problem with one of my Polish chicks, she seemed fine when she arrived, however in the last 2 weeks the leg is twisted out to the side and she hops on one. I looked on the "net" and think it might be "twisted leg". However, there wasn't much info, hopefully someone here can help, mine also is chirping very loud! I just don't want to think she is in a lot of pain.
Not an answer, but hopefully we'll both get some help!
Patti G

I hope so. I thought twisted leg but I didn't know cause she was first just not using it and now it is starting to twist. Maybe that is what it is.
What are you doing or have done to help it? Anything that seems to be working? I haven't come up with anything or heard from anyone about suggestions.

Seems like the knee is rotating. You would have to splint the leg in a bent position, up high down to the hock... Which is very tricky to do......I'll see if I can draw up an idea for you in the morning using stiff cardboard and vet wrap. It basically would have to look like a C shape connected to a backward L shape.... The C shape locking around the gap between body and knee, the L going behind the leg and hock.

Last edited:
I made a walker for a chick like this with an old pair of pantyhose so it could move around while the leg healed. It worked really well for the chick and a few with spraddle leg.

That would make sense for it to be her knee turning cause her toes look like they are starting to turn out. I went and bought the wrap and have cardboard. I think I understand what you are saying but I don't want to try to do it without knowing for sure if I am right. I would hate to mess something up and make it worse. A question I have is after I bend her leg will she be able to walk on it? Like it will be so stiff with wrap she will be able to lean on it. When I do this will this fix all if it or will she still have problems more than likely? She isn't growing like the others. Thank you soo much for all the help. I really appreciate it.

This sounds exactly like what I've got, shes not using the one leg except to push herself, if I can balance her on the one side she seems to be able to go. She, also is smaller than the rest of her 'broodmates', shrill chirping, if you come up with something, please share with me, I really feel bad for her,such a sweet girl,since I ended up with 4 boys and only one other girl,I'd love to help her.
Thanks everyone for all the replies
Patti

Back
Top Bottom