Chick with no eyes!

Keep her warm and try to encourage her to drink by dipping her beak in water. It may be comfort care, but it's better than nothing if you aren't going to cull.

If she has no eyes, she may have other developmental problems too.

Yes, she also is missing a claw on each foot. She also doesn't seem to have any interest in food or water.

If you can't bring yourself to cull her yourself than maybe take her to your local vets and ask them to do it humanely for you (this is what I personally do). They usually will do it for free or for a small charge and it does give you reasurence that it has been done humanely.

Sorry about you chick- it's a tough decision, but ultimately you need to ask yourself: are you keeping it alive for your sake or for the chick?

Hi,
I sure hope this chick has been put down by now. No way it can live a normal life. Sometimes things happen. Just send its spirit back to the Lord who gave it. It's the right and kind thing to do. When we breed creatures we take on a responsibility for their lifespans. If there is not normal quality of life, it is our responsibility ( whether it is easy for us or not) to send them on their eternal way. This is not a choice, it is a responsibility. It was never easy for me and I am positive will never be easy for you. Stop its suffering now and wipe away your tears knowing you did the right thing.
Warm, Regards,
Karen

as an addenda,
This chick is gonna die. You can't save it. I know because it has already used up its yolk sac and is not eating or drinking. So? The yolk sac is not ever meant to be energy to live. It is biologically reserved for nutrition for development of the G.I. tract and muscles. At this point the chick has been forced to use the sac for energy. This means the G.I.tract does not have the nutrition it needs for its rapid development in the 1st few days of life. Plus the chick is not taking in any further nutrition. Soon it will pass a tipping point where the lack of nutrition passes the need for nutrition in the body systems. Then this happens, the body systems will start to fail in a cascade and the chick will die. Do you want it to die this slow death like this? Yes, it is in pain and dying a slow death from dehydration and malnutrition. Just put it down and weep over your loss.
Best,
Karen

Last edited:
Just updating you all. The poor chick passed away today. We simply could not bring ourselves to cull her, but she died a peaceful death with her mother and siblings. R.I.P. Little chick.
1f614.png
I do believe that if blindness was the only thing wrong with this chick, it would have lived. However, there were multiple issues with this chick. I encourage anyone with a blind chick to give it a chance at life and to not cull it straight away if blindness is the only issue. Thank you all so much for your help!

Last edited:
Just updating you all. The poor chick passed away today. We simply could not bring ourselves to cull her, but she died a peaceful death with her mother and siblings. R.I.P. Little chick.
1f614.png
I do believe that if blindness was the only thing wrong with this chick, it would have lived. However, there were multiple issues with this chick. I encourage anyone with a blind chick to give it a chance at life and to not cull it straight away if blindness is the only issue. Thank you all so much for your help!

I am sorry.
hugs.gif

@Anne4596Thank you for posting the update on baby chick. I found myself wondering periodically over the last few days how she & you were doing. Sad for the sadness & worry you endured over last few days but at same time I am glad your chick is at peace now. Take care.
1f61e.png

Back
Top Bottom