Chick with possible Gape worms or Respritory issues???

Quote:
My chcken's crop was empty too. It felt like a deflated balloon. She could not stand up and she just layed her head stretched out. She was also tweeking her neck kind of side to side almost like she was having convultions. So, it might be worth trying to give her water to help flush out anything icky bacteria wise left in her stomach at least and then see how she does with some rest. I'm sorry you are going through this. I know it is not easy. I thought for sure mine was going to die until she vomitted alot (including some blood) and got some rest.

so far this is what i have been doing. .

#1 giving her terra-vet in liquid form. . didnt seem to be working well, so i gave her the antibiotic in pill form
#2 gave her apple cider vinegar diluted in water
#3 also have been giving her gator aid diluted in water, she feels very hot, and i was hoping it would help with dehydration
#4 i have been feeding her yogurt through a syringe, but she keeps vomiting it up along with all the other fluids i try to give her

should i just keep doing that for another day or so?

Somehow my computer got messed up and what I wrote wasn't posted. Anyways, I would not give her anymore antibiotic. I would give her the deluted gatoraide and help her vomit by holding her and tipping her head down, away from you. Do this until she won't vomit anymore. Then let her rest well overnight. I am crazy and slept with my chicken on the couch. I did make sure to just wet her mouth with a small amount of water when she was done vomiting to keep her hydrated. After a full night of rest, try to offer her some plain yogurt. I hope it helps. I would think if it doesn't, you should humanly euthenize her. At least you could say you tried everything you could. Keep us updated.

BTW-If it was sour crop, I would think the combonation of what you gave her (although you were trying your best treatment not knowing what was wrong) could maybe have made her crop feel ickier maybe? I am hoping for the best for you and your chick. : )

final update on her. . .

I went to check on her and noticed her legs and lower body was stiff as a board . . . i couldnt take it no more and did what i had to do

now my girlfriend is making me feel bad and calling me Jason Vorhees lol

Quote:
You know what though, you tried your best! I think you did the right thing. At least she isn't suffering anymore. You could always open her up and look at her neck and crop and see if there is any sign of something you could look out for if another chicken ends up with it. Just a thought.

Quote:
You know what though, you tried your best! I think you did the right thing. At least she isn't suffering anymore. You could always open her up and look at her neck and crop and see if there is any sign of something you could look out for if another chicken ends up with it. Just a thought.

well, shes in the ground now, im not going to dig her back up. . .

but just an honest question?

I took its head off and there was virtually no blood what so ever. . thats not normal is it?

No blood in her cage or stool

Quote:

well, shes in the ground now, im not going to dig her back up. . .

but just an honest question?

I took its head off and there was virtually no blood what so ever. . thats not normal is it?

No blood in her cage or stool

I am not sure why my post aren't posting but I replied WAY earlier. Anyways, Jason (that is a joke...haha) I have no experience with having to put down a chicken but I would think that would not be normal. Strange.

Back
Top Bottom