Chick with remains of umbilical cord still showing

Dolittle

Chirping
5 Years
Jun 6, 2014
Southern Highlands, NSW Australia
Hi

I hatched 7 chicks 5 Sussex and 2 Araucana in an incubator recently, one of the Sussex who is 9 days old hatched a little unusually with the top of the egg coming off as opposed to the egg splitting in half as the others did and she had trouble detaching from the egg. She is eating and running around as normal but has the remains of her umbilical cord (not sure what the equivalent in chickens is called) attached to her rear. I have had a look at it and is definitely attached and is quite prominent.

It doesn't seem to bother her but I am wondering if it will have long term effects and/or if I should be taking her to the vet or if there is anything I should be doing about it ??

Obviously I am new to hatching in an incubator and have never seen this before in the chicks that have been raised by one of my hens so wanted to check with the experts ; )

Thanks
Jen

No need to worry about it. It is as you say the umbilical cord and usually just dries up of its own accord and eventually falls off. The only thing is don't try to pull it away from the chick doing this could cause it's abdomen to come through the navel. Just check the area to make sure it's clean and dry and all should be well with your chick.

Best of luck to you with your chicks.

My very first hatchling had a small herniated (that's how it looked to me) belly button with the cord and some membrane gunk still attatched when he hatched. I let it be and it dried up and fell off on its own. :)

Thanks for the info - I will stop worrying and see what happens
smile.png

The baby chicks are so cute - you can't be sad when watching them run about... think it would be excellent depression therapy!!

If your chick is in with other chicks please make sure to watch that none of the others are pecking at it. They will zero in on that thing like little hawks, especially if it is red or hanging down at all. I have a chick that is 3 days old right now and has something similar. I'm keeping her separate from the others as a precaution. OH she is mad that she is stuck by herself, but I would rather have a mad chick than a dead chick.

Hi

I hatched 7 chicks 5 Sussex and 2 Araucana in an incubator recently, one of the Sussex who is 9 days old hatched a little unusually with the top of the egg coming off as opposed to the egg splitting in half as the others did and she had trouble detaching from the egg. She is eating and running around as normal but has the remains of her umbilical cord (not sure what the equivalent in chickens is called) attached to her rear. I have had a look at it and is definitely attached and is quite prominent.

It doesn't seem to bother her but I am wondering if it will have long term effects and/or if I should be taking her to the vet or if there is anything I should be doing about it ??

Obviously I am new to hatching in an incubator and have never seen this before in the chicks that have been raised by one of my hens so wanted to check with the experts ; )

Thanks
Jen

I had a chick like you describe last spring. She is now giving me an egg every day. So don't worry about long term effects.
The others are right, it will dry up and fall of naturally.
wink.png

If your chick is in with other chicks please make sure to watch that none of the others are pecking at it. They will zero in on that thing like little hawks, especially if it is red or hanging down at all. I have a chick that is 3 days old right now and has something similar. I'm keeping her separate from the others as a precaution. OH she is mad that she is stuck by herself, but I would rather have a mad chick than a dead chick.
That is a good point. I too would keep an eye on the others to be on the safe side. Mine was a loner chick from a bummed hatch that hatched 3 days late, so I did not have that to worry about.

Thanks for your concern - I was worried about that too but the other chicks aren't pecking at her, and I think in the last couple of days it is starting to dry out so hopefully will drop off soon.

I am pretty sure she is a Hen (with my new found feathering technique to sex chicks - gotta love the internet ; ) so crossed fingers she is fine.

Thanks again for all your comments and advice.. and Happy New Year from Southern Highlands NSW Australia - its hot here so at least don't need to worry about the cold !

Jen

I have the same thing with a chick that hatched this morning but it's bloody - do I stop the bleeding or let it congeal to harden off?

It's best to separate the chick until the bleeding stops and the cord dries. I used some spray antiseptic on my chick's cord. Keep it on a clean cloth. I don't think there is a whole lot you should do. Just protect it and let nature take it's course. Keep us posted..
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom