Chick with slipped achilles tendon… Time to get medical.

HetaChick

Songster
8 Years
May 31, 2011
California
So in the midst of my ducklings and gosling hatching my dear sweet Aiko - the love of my fowl life's- egg hatched.

A beautiful little brown/grey/yellow chick. I didn't notice it at first, when (s)he hatched last night, but today after coming home I discovered she had a bent leg and a swollen knee.

I looked it up, and it appears to be a slipped achilles tendon, I'd tried to relocate it but I'm not sure I've found it.

Tomorrow, I'm going to call and try and take her to the vet. This is an important chick and of course it hatched with a really bad problem. I'm upset, as can be expected, and I don't really want to put her (just a guess) down. She's cheeping happily in my bra right now, so much like my little Ko, it's painful.

My plan is to schedule a vet appointment for tomorrow and try to get them to do the micro surgery to push it back into place.

They can do surgery on parakeets, they can help her. If they're going to give me the same crap they did for my rooster (who is doing VERY well now, btw) this is going to be the last time I go to this particular avian vet. They're expensive, but where else do you go for a chicken?

My plan is either they put it back into place or amputate the leg. If it drags it's be a problem. She's a bantam so she might be able to adjust to one leg, a lot of birds have adjusted to that and growing up that way would give her time to adjust.

Btw, for people who followed my story about my cockerel with the grossly infected eye, he did recover completely even though I was told by the vet he likely wouldn't make it. Well. I'm starting to hear that story a lot, like my grandmother, 86, had her cancer return, again doctors were telling us to "make her comfortable."

Well, she fought it and now it's gone. I'm getting real tired of this "professional" "let's not even try, give up and call it a day already" attitude. Isn't the whole point of medicine to try and aid? If someone has the time and money, why not try??

Sorry for the rant, I was told earlier to just cut her head off. I understand culling, and if there was literally no chance then I would have her euthanized. I'm going to give her a chance.

This little derp is her mom.

She broke her beak mysteriously last year so she looks crooked
but is otherwise a healthy, sweet bird. That's why I wanted her babies
:/ she's MY baby...

I'll update as I go.

Last edited:
Thank you! But I was just there. (actually the tab is still open) I'm still reading the page, but I don't think I'm able to pop it back into place. It's swollen and there's a cut on it, I'm giving vitamins like it said and stretching her leg out.

Her leg was even worse today, solid at the joint. I had her put down when I took her in after thinking about it over and over.

The other chick hatched today, her brother/sister, and now it's alone. What a crappy day. I'll try to get it a friend if I can or just be there myself. I have this week off.

Her leg was even worse today, solid at the joint. I had her put down when I took her in after thinking about it over and over.

The other chick hatched today, her brother/sister, and now it's alone. What a crappy day. I'll try to get it a friend if I can or just be there myself. I have this week off.

I am sorry for your loss. You can try a mirror in with the chick so it sees itself until you can get it a friend (if that is what you end up doing).

Yeah that's my plan exactly. My guy tells me the leftover chick is a cockerel, he's yellowish, and all the yellowish chicks I had from the line he comes from have been roos. He's a bantam so I want to get a bantam buddy, silkie if possible, but I won't be too picky. Thank you guys though.

Back
Top Bottom