Chick with weak legs

PoN7

In the Brooder
Jul 5, 2017
Ok so, according to the replies, it seems to be a vitamin b deficiency.

What are all the things I can do to help?

Last edited:
Weak legs, droopy wings and a lot of sleeping. And he eats chick starter.
I think I left him indoors for too long. I didn't even know rickets existed until yesterday. :/

Can you show a picture of him standing up and of his poop?
Does he always sit on his hocks like that - any sores on the hocks?
How long has he been like this?

He's cute little thing. The toes look a bit drawn up - you may want to start him on poultry vitamins that contain Riboflavin (B2) or crush a human B-Complex tablet and add it to his chick starter.

The symptoms you describe could be a number of things as @andreanar mentioned - vitamin/nutritional deficiency, genetic/developmental disorders, Coccidiosis and certain diseases can all have similar symptoms.

If you have a vet that can test a fresh sample of his poop, just to rule out Coccidiosis that would be a good idea.

What are the symptoms? Usually if it occurs, it's in older laying hens that aren't getting enough calcium. It could happen in chicks, usually it's called rickets in younger birds, but it's rare if they're on a proper diet.

coccidia, mareks, dehydration,, vit deficiency. So many. We don't have enough info to help narrow it down. Where do you keep him? Out in the coop? Inside? Has he been exposed to outside ground? How many other birds? What does his poop look like? How long has he been like this? Is he eating/drinking? What have you tried so far to help him? Is his crop emptying? Have you checked him over for bugs? Is his vent clean and clear?

B complex for humans is a good and cheap supplement containing riboflavin--crush 1/4-1/2 tablet per day on some chopped egg or food. Most chick vitamins have it EXCEPT for Poultry NutriDrench for some odd reason, but use all as directed.

You can try beef liver, a little milk, salmon, eggs, spinach or any leafy dark greens. Those are some foods high in b2. Do you have any chicken supplies like nutriDrench or anything else on hand?

Ok I just got the vitamins. I'll let y'all know how he is in a week. Thanks so much for the help. ^^

Attachments

• 20170919_164659.jpg
    20170919_164659.jpg
    474.2 KB · Views: 5
You can try physical therapy on his legs, but it is sounding more like this could be permanent. Mareks disease can cause paralysis in one or both legs or wings, or the neck. If he had riboflavin deficiency with curled toe paralysis, if that is not treated promptly, it can be permanent. Some chicks are born with brain damage that keeps them from walking, We are all hoping that he show some signs of improvement soon.

Back
Top Bottom