Chick with weak legs

His toes aren't curled anymore, since I had them in a splint for a few days. But he still can't walk. Is there a physical therapy or something I can do to help him walk again?

I'm sorry to hear he is still not doing well.

Do the legs seem paralyzed?

You can try placing him a sling to help keep him upright. This allows them to move their legs without having to put much weigh on them.

Here's some photos of slings - but if you Google "chicken sling" you will find some great ideas. He would need to be monitored while in a sling.

upload_2017-10-6_10-44-18.png

upload_2017-10-6_10-44-30.png
upload_2017-10-6_10-44-51.png

Ok, I made him a sling.

The leg that had the curled toes, he doesn't really use it. Maybe it's still paralyzed? He stretches his other leg out to balance himself.

It could be paralyzed.

Time will tell if he can fully recover. You may be dealing with a disease like Marek's or possibly a genetic/developmental disorder.
I know you are doing everything you can for him.

You can try physical therapy on his legs, but it is sounding more like this could be permanent. Mareks disease can cause paralysis in one or both legs or wings, or the neck. If he had riboflavin deficiency with curled toe paralysis, if that is not treated promptly, it can be permanent. Some chicks are born with brain damage that keeps them from walking, We are all hoping that he show some signs of improvement soon.

He's taken the vitamins everyday since I got them. Marek's was the first thing I thought he has. I really hope that's not it. I love him so much and he doesn't want to give up either.

Back
Top Bottom