Chick with wobbly legs. Advice appreciated! Might not make it much longer!!

sara1226

Songster
Apr 15, 2015
Northern Wisconsin
I have a 3 week old bantam Dominique chick that has trouble walking for a few days now. I thought it could be splayed leg, but I read that usually happens closer to hatching...? She can sometimes walk but not very well. The problem seems to be in the right leg only and the toes don't curl but they are very weak and non responsive when we push against them. This chick also grew faster and larger than the others.

A little bit of background here:

I have a serious strain of fatal Mareks disease on my property, so I had to find a hatchery that offered the strongest version (there are different types) of the vaccine. The closest one I could find was 3 states away and shipping the chicks here was very hard on them, there was a cold snap in the weather temps, it took 2.5 days because of the distance, and I had to have the chicks sexed (which is also hard on them), because once I get the chicks on my property with the Mareks virus exposure here I cannot sell them to anyone else. I should also mention that these chicks are not at my house yet. I know they can't be exposed to Mareks until the 4 week point when the vaccine has kicked in. My friend is raising them for 4 weeks on her property.

I read that the Mareks vaccine does not cause Mareks symptoms (hatchery used HVT + Rispens)... But the thought crossed my mind. Is it possible?

Is it latent splayed leg from the shipping stress?

I ordered 6 dominiques and we have lost 4! All with different symptoms. This is the only limper. Was this a batch of unhealthy, weak hatchery chicks?

Also ordered 10 silkies... Only lost one of those and that one had a twisted neck.

So.... WHAT can I do to help this one??? I have some Rooster Booster vitamins I can give my friend to try and give the chick a few drops, but it does have iron in it and I read iron is bad for chicks.

The chick is becoming thin now and I fear it will only last a few more days like this. Any help is appreciated.

* Not looking for advice telling me to cull it or "put it out of its misery". I have saved many chickens from illness and other issues before and some of my exsisting flock contains rescue birds. I am going to try and save this one. Thank you.

Any ideas anyone? Is it ok to try the vitamins even though they contain some iron???

1f633.png
1f61f.png

I don't have any experience with iron and chicks, but I would definitely get them on vitamins of some sort. Perhaps a run to a local farm store if possible--poultry nutri-drench is my favorite for ailing chicks. I offer it for a day or two upon arrival to counteract shipping/transport stress. I'm also a big proponent of probiotics to set up the chick for proper digestion and absorption of vitamins/minerals found in their food.

Hard boiled egg yolks work in a pinch for vitamin supplement (and the whites are excellent protein) but you are dependent on what the hen was able to deposit in the egg, so supplements are more reliable for specific therapy

After 2 days of having a bandaid splint on her toes and vitamins, electrolytes, and probiotics she was doing so well she was running and jumping. So I took it off her toes.

All was well until this morning. Her toes curled up again and she is just standing hunched over and sleeping. What happened?! All I did was back off the vitamins a bit. Was it to soon? I'm really worried she won't make it. I keep posting in a couple of different threads, people view it but no responses. As time passes it seems like I get less and less advice on this site when I post a question looking for help. Sometimes it seems like the more active threads are the ones where people are telling jokes back and forth. Just sayin... Maybe I need to try multiple sites.
1f614.png

Back
Top Bottom