chick without wings!

calichooks

Chirping
Apr 17, 2020
i know i’ve been posting a lot on this forum and i apologize, but this little thing might just need some explaining. in our order of 20 chicks, one of 8 golden comets looked odd- and that’s because she’s wingless! no injuries, just born with one stub of a wing, and one wing completely gone! her name’s Biscuit. it’s a little odd Hoover’s would send her like this, but she’s just as strong and big as the others. what could’ve caused this?

Attachments

• 3BC0C71A-7F9A-4084-8615-9E53EBB379D9.jpeg
    3BC0C71A-7F9A-4084-8615-9E53EBB379D9.jpeg
    449 KB · Views: 108
  • 0C9B94C7-CABF-4895-8A2D-2F1A1845D6CD.jpeg
    0C9B94C7-CABF-4895-8A2D-2F1A1845D6CD.jpeg
    408.8 KB · Views: 61
Genetics maybe? She'll be more susceptible to predators due to inability to fly but as long as there aren't internal deformities along with the missing wing, no reason she can't live a normal life. She may need a lower roost bar or ramps/ladder bars to get up to roost.

This little thing hatched almost 3 days ago! Well it has NO wings!! We have now named it Redbull (cuz clearly it doesn't give you wings!) We had not a clue what to do, mama was ignoring it & I did not want to let the other hens pick on it, or nature let it take its course, so into the house it goes! Got it set up with a stuffed animal (to help keep it propped up), some heat & food/water. It spent its first 2 days face down with legs sprawled out! But this morning, it was fully upright, a little wobbily but up! So will wings grow? Or will this little just learn to balance better as it gets bigger/stronger? But now that redbull is upright, it will NOT stop chirping, so I took myself to the feed store and bought 4 brand new pullets, hoping that they will provide it with company & all learn how to be chickens together! But it still is chirping, while others are passed out! So I guess I wanna know if this is just a deformity? Will wings grow? & how do I properly care for redbull?
Thanks everyone.

Attachments

• inbound8118718468383668543.jpg
    inbound8118718468383668543.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 14
  • inbound6076288305512186406.jpg
    inbound6076288305512186406.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 19
This little thing hatched almost 3 days ago! Well it has NO wings!! We have now named it Redbull (cuz clearly it doesn't give you wings!) We had not a clue what to do, mama was ignoring it & I did not want to let the other hens pick on it, or nature let it take its course, so into the house it goes! Got it set up with a stuffed animal (to help keep it propped up), some heat & food/water. It spent its first 2 days face down with legs sprawled out! But this morning, it was fully upright, a little wobbily but up! So will wings grow? Or will this little just learn to balance better as it gets bigger/stronger? But now that redbull is upright, it will NOT stop chirping, so I took myself to the feed store and bought 4 brand new pullets, hoping that they will provide it with company & all learn how to be chickens together! But it still is chirping, while others are passed out! So I guess I wanna know if this is just a deformity? Will wings grow? & how do I properly care for redbull?
Thanks everyone.
I love the name!
Does he have a heat source, brooder plate or heat lamp? Has he tried food or water? You may need to show him where it is.
Sounds like Redbull is imprinted on you, so he will not stop peeping until you come back and hold him (Assuming he calms down when held?). The other possibility is that he's uncomfortable, such as cold, but if the others are content I find that less likely.
You could either: Spend as much time with him as possible to stop him from crying, or tough love! Give him a bit of space and let him adjust to his new friends.
If he has no wings at all, they will not grow now. But if he has little stumps, they will grow with him, remaining as those stumps, perhaps looking larger once feathering comes in should he feather normally. This id just a guess, mind you. I'm no expert on chickens and I have never dealt with this before.

Best of luck to you and Redbull!

I'm also no expert, but I've had my share of less-than-perfect critters (currently including a blind dog, a cat born without eyes and a Cochin Bantam with a featherless, deformed leg).

As long as you make some accommodations for Redbull, I think he can live a perfectly happy life with you. I also think @BelovedBirds is right. he won't grow wings. But animals that are born "different" have no idea that they're not perfect.

He's lucky to have you; best wishes for you both.

Back
Top Bottom