Chick won’t eat

Selsee

Chirping
Feb 17, 2018
my little chick, Franklin, is the only survivor of 3 that I hatched. He hatched a couple days ago and had deformed feet. I’m fixing them using the bandaid method. He’ll drink the water I give him, but he won’t eat the food I offer. I tried crushing it a little since the pieces were big.

my little chick, Franklin, is the only survivor of 3 that I hatched. He hatched a couple days ago and had deformed feet. I’m fixing them using the bandaid method. He’ll drink the water I give him, but he won’t eat the food I offer. I tried crushing it a little since the pieces were big.

Do you have any photos of him?

Try offering wet chick starter - he may be able to eat that.
You can also see if he will accept mashed hard boiled egg. If you have poultry vitamins, add those to his water or give him 1-2drops direct dose of Poultry Nutri-Drench daily.

I'm sorry to hear that you lost the others. Sometimes chicks fail to thrive. Since Franklin has deformed feet, he may also have other (unseen internal) deformities. The best you can do is to keep him hydrated and see if he can eat. If not, then it may be time to let him go.

I just spent the week trying to pet along a chick myself, but ultimately I made a hard decision that he was failing and had to put him down. I hope your chick gets better, please keep us posted.

Do you have any photos of him?

Try offering wet chick starter - he may be able to eat that.
You can also see if he will accept mashed hard boiled egg. If you have poultry vitamins, add those to his water or give him 1-2drops direct dose of Poultry Nutri-Drench daily.

I'm sorry to hear that you lost the others. Sometimes chicks fail to thrive. Since Franklin has deformed feet, he may also have other (unseen internal) deformities. The best you can do is to keep him hydrated and see if he can eat. If not, then it may be time to let him go.

I just spent the week trying to pet along a chick myself, but ultimately I made a hard decision that he was failing and had to put him down. I hope your chick gets better, please keep us posted.
Thanks for the advice I don’t think he has internal deformities. He’s quite energetic and strong.

Attachments

• 2812AFEB-BDF4-4598-B3ED-9DE2A1CEA4D9.jpeg
    2812AFEB-BDF4-4598-B3ED-9DE2A1CEA4D9.jpeg
    348.8 KB · Views: 9
Try adding a little sugar to the water since he will drink, a little honey or molasses or maple syrup will work. Sometimes this is just enough to get them going and get them interested in other food. You can also try wetting the food and making it a bit soupy for the chick and see if that helps, just be sure you change it out regularly so it doesn't go bad.

Try adding a little sugar to the water since he will drink, a little honey or molasses or maple syrup will work. Sometimes this is just enough to get them going and get them interested in other food. You can also try wetting the food and making it a bit soupy for the chick and see if that helps, just be sure you change it out regularly so it doesn't go bad.

I just wet his food and he ate it!!!

Back
Top Bottom