Chick won't stand on legs...are they broken?

chickencrazyinHT

In the Brooder
9 Years
Sep 19, 2010
I have a chick that is a week old and she won't stand up. I took her out of the brooder where she was with over 40 other chicks because they were running all over her and she couldn't move. I have her in the house now and she will not stand up, she just lays in one place and scoots herself around very little. Her legs seem to go out to the side sometimes and she is able to move them and tuck them back under her belly and her legs also seem to tremble sometimes. Her toes are curled up also and she doesnt try to put weight on them either. How do I know if they are broke or what could be wrong with her? She does eat and drink but that is about it. Please help with any advice. If her legs are broken then what could I do? She was a chick from a shipment we got and just trying to figure out what's wrong and if I should put her out of her misery if I can't fix her.

Hi
I'm sorry you are going through this
hugs.gif
It sounds like spraddle leg to me. Do you have any pictures of the chick's legs? Maybe that would help. If it IS spraddle leg, then there are several ways you can try and fix it. Search "spraddle leg" on here and I'm sure you will find some posts about it. I will go look, back in a few!
smile.png

Ok, here's one link:
Spraddle leg treatment

Last edited:
that sounds a lot like straddle leg, does she have curled toes? did you put her in a different box,
straddle leg looks like the legs are spread out on each side, there are lots of names for straddle such as splay leg and straddle leg,
send some pictures soon

Back
Top Bottom