chick won't walk on leg

crubner

In the Brooder
11 Years
Nov 1, 2008
Hi there. I hope I'm doing this correctly. I have a 2 1/2 week old silkie chick that was doing great until yesterday morning. I noticed that it was holding its right leg off the ground and wouldn't walk on it. The leg it self seems to be fine, full range of motion, no obvious injuries, able to move it. The chick can put the leg down but when it does the toes seem to curl under. Is it possible that the chick has somehow injured the leg or does it sound like something bad?

Thanks Eggcessive! I've done some research and it's possible that that is what it is. The hock does look a little flatter than the other one but I can't feel the tendon anywhere. I went ahead and put a brace on the leg. Not sure I got it on correctly, the chick wasn't actually cooperating! It does kind of put the leg down and stand on it now and the toes aren't curling under. It was pretty freaked out with the brace initially but seems to be tolerating it now.

Chick seems to be fine with the brace and even stands on it when I took it off today. I went ahead and put it back on as I am going out of town on Sunday and don't think DH can keep it up while I'm gone. When I put the brace on again today I noticed the the 4th and 5th toes of the opposite foot are partly fused. Should I avoid breeding this chick?

Chick seems to be fine with the brace and even stands on it when I took it off today. I went ahead and put it back on as I am going out of town on Sunday and don't think DH can keep it up while I'm gone. When I put the brace on again today I noticed the the 4th and 5th toes of the opposite foot are partly fused. Should I avoid breeding this chick?

Back
Top Bottom