Chicken’s leg has gone limp and she can’t walk

Puddingtheamericana

In the Brooder
Jul 14, 2021
i have a chicken who likes to roost and hangout in the dirt alot. although i’m starting to think it wasn’t because she loved it. i noticed her behind the food dispenser one wing out and one leg out, laying there, alive though. i picked her up and place into the middle of the coop, just kinda laid there, didnt move. tried dropping her from a safe height to see if she’d fly and then continue walking, nothing. i put a water bowl and food in front of her since she can’t really walk to her food and water, she can only like use her good foot + wings and flutter a few feet to certain areas. i picked up her limp foot and she had no reaction. usally a chicken would pull away, pissed of that i dare touch their feet, but she didn’t care. it was limp and she couldn’t move her fingers, just like main leg part, and not even very well at that. we think she may have broken something, lost feeling, or got bitten by something. we’ve had a chicken in the past who had a limp leg at a very young age, and it just kinda shriveled up, but she grew up her whole life with that leg and she could get around perfectly well.

does anyone have anyone idea what may have happened and what i can do to fix it. our vet isn’t seeing birds rn

Pictures of the chicken as she is now may be helpful. Was she vaccinated for Mareks disease? Injuries are common and that might be the reason, but I would wonder about Mareks disease. Could she have been more injured when you dropped her from a safe height to test if she could fly? A chicken sling chair might be something that you could try while she is recovering. Food and water can be attached. Here is a link for different chicken sling designs:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/versions-of-chick-chairs-please.1166308/

Pictures of the chicken as she is now may be helpful. Was she vaccinated for Mareks disease? Injuries are common and that might be the reason, but I would wonder about Mareks disease. Could she have been more injured when you dropped her from a safe height to test if she could fly? A chicken sling chair might be something that you could try while she is recovering. Food and water can be attached. Here is a link for different chicken sling designs:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/versions-of-chick-chairs-please.1166308/
yeah i forgot to add photos,
E1964E8B-6168-4CBE-AC69-52FB9A38D6D6.jpeg
CCA25391-BF94-4937-8DEB-96BF4FF8FA31.jpeg
C639551A-2173-4AC6-97BC-D69BE61E1A76.jpeg

i have a chicken who likes to roost and hangout in the dirt alot. although i’m starting to think it wasn’t because she loved it. i noticed her behind the food dispenser one wing out and one leg out, laying there, alive though. i picked her up and place into the middle of the coop, just kinda laid there, didnt move. tried dropping her from a safe height to see if she’d fly and then continue walking, nothing. i put a water bowl and food in front of her since she can’t really walk to her food and water, she can only like use her good foot + wings and flutter a few feet to certain areas. i picked up her limp foot and she had no reaction. usally a chicken would pull away, pissed of that i dare touch their feet, but she didn’t care. it was limp and she couldn’t move her fingers, just like main leg part, and not even very well at that. we think she may have broken something, lost feeling, or got bitten by something. we’ve had a chicken in the past who had a limp leg at a very young age, and it just kinda shriveled up, but she grew up her whole life with that leg and she could get around perfectly well.

does anyone have anyone idea what may have happened and what i can do to fix it. our vet isn’t seeing birds rn
Update on the weird leg: it’s completely healed?!

since she was injured the chicken has been able to like flutter and hobble around, she’s even been getting up and into their coop to lay. i go to check on her this morning and she standing up right, i grab her injured leg and jerks it back, indicating she has feeling in it again.

Back
Top Bottom